Please leave your comments and suggestions for HotCat.
Is it possible to have HotCat warn when the category being added is a parent category of a category already assigned to the article? For example, the article is already part of Category:Japanese people stubs and the user wishes to add Category:Japanese people. Will HotCat suggest "Japanese people" in that context? --Big_iron (talk) 19:41, 11 December 2017 (UTC)
- While it's usually wrong to add a parent category, in this example it's right, as the article will be removed from the stub category when it ceases to be a stub. PamD 23:15, 11 December 2017 (UTC)
Any idea why Wikipedia now prompts you to add an edit summary when HotCat has already auto-populated it? SFB 17:48, 7 May 2018 (UTC)
- I've been getting this same message for about a month now also.
06:15, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
- Accoridng to MediaWiki:Gadget-HotCat.js, the script is maintained on Commons, so that's where the troubleshooting needs to take place. 06:33, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
- I’m having the same issue. It happens when removing categories or doing multiple things at once but not when simply adding categories. Interqwark talk contribs 3:13 am, Today (UTC+2)
- Here's the relevant Phabricator task: phabricator:T181344 –Simon04 (talk) 19:45, 7 October 2018 (UTC)
Categorization and stub templates
As per WP:SECTIONORDER, categories are supposed to go above stub templates, but HotCat automatically adds categories below stub templates. Is there a way the program can be rewritten to automatically place categories above stub templates, either when adding a single category or multiple cats at a time? IntoThinAir (formerly Everymorning) talk 03:29, 6 September 2018 (UTC)