Wilfrid Van Wyck
Wilfrid Van Wyck (16 November 1904 – 13 October 1983, in Woking, Surrey) was a British classical music artists impresario and manager through his agency, Wilfrid Van Wyck Ltd, based in London. He was the second president of the European Association of Artist Managers.
Van Wyck was the concert agent for cellists André Navarra, Aldo Parisot and János Starker; pianists Arthur Rubinstein, Witold Malcuzynski, Janina Fialkowska, Robert Casadesus and Ken Sasaki; soprano Victoria de los Ángeles; Kirsten Flagstad, the Beaux Arts Trio, Guarneri String Quartet, Fine Arts Quartet; the Utah Symphony Orchestra, then conducted by Maurice Abravanel, and many other artists and ensembles.
Wilfrid Van Wyck was also a partner in Rimington Van Wyck Ltd, a London record store and publisher at 42–43 Cranbourn Street, Leicester Square, London. He retired in 1970. His agency was purchased by London Management, part of the Grade Organisation.
- "Abstract: 1983 deaths". The Musical Times, Vol. 125, No. 1691, p. 44. January 1984.
Germaine Tailleferre, the French composer, died in Paris on 6 November; ... Wilfrid van Wyck, the impresario and artists' agent, died in Woking on 13 October; he was 78.(JSTOR)
- "About AEAA". Association Européenne des Agents Artistiques (European Association of Artist Managers).
- Ann Van Wyck (15 February 2005). "Lives remembered". The Times. London.
My father, Wilfrid Van Wyck, was always immensely proud to have been a manager of Victoria de los Ángeles from the outset of her career in the UK at the end of the 1940s, until he retired in the 1970s.
- University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee Archives. "Fine Arts Quartet. Records, 1910–1989".
- "The First International Tour: September 9 – October 2, 1966". Maurice Abravanel website.
- "Chronological Discography – Non commercial discs 1941–1944". Michael Tippett website.
1941 Fantasy Sonata for Piano. Phyllis Sellick. Recorded by Decca for Rimington Van Wyck Ltd. 2 double sided and one single sided 12" 78 rpm records. 78: RIMINGTON VAN WYCK 108 – 11OS.
- "Obituary: Patrick Saul (1913–1999)" (PDF). Playback, the bulletin of the British Library Sound Archive, p. 6. Spring 2000. ISSN 0952-2360.
One afternoon in 1930 a young music-lover went into the London gramophone shop, Cranbourn Street, run by Mr Wilfrid Van Wyck and Mr W. Rimington…
- Richard Holt, biography of Nikolai Medtner: Medtner and his music: A tribute to a great Russian composer. London: Rimington, Van Wyck. 1948, 24 pages. ASIN B0007JCB60.
- Kurtz Myers (September 1946). "Current Report on the Record Industry". Notes, 2nd Series, Vol. 3, No. 4.
Rimington, Van Wyck, Ltd. 42–43 Cranbourn Street, London, England 121.(JSTOR doi:10.2307/890421)
- Harvey Sachs. Rubinstein: A Life. Chapter 7. New York: Grove Press, 1995. Hardcover first edition: ISBN 0-8021-1579-9, ISBN 978-0-8021-1579-9.