The parents of Endemanns were the jurist Konrad Endemann and his wife Charlotte Wilhelmine née Grau. A brother was Friedrich Carl Endemann, Vice-mayor of Kassel and member of Reichstag. In 1856 he married Katinka Pult in Fulda. One son was Friedrich Endemann (1857-1936).
He was educated at the universities of Marburg and Heidelberg, became a professor of law at the University of Jena in 1862, then later assumed the same position at the University of Bonn in 1875. From 1871 to 1873 he was a member of the Reichstag. He became one of the greatest authorities on the commercial law of Germany.
His works on jurisprudence include:
- Der Entwurf eines deutschen Handelsgesetzbuchs (1858).
- Das deutsche Handelsrecht (German commercial law, 4th edition 1887).
- Die Entwicklung des Beweisverfahrens im deutschen Civilprozess (1895).
- ADB:Endemann, Wilhelm In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Band 48, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1904, S. 358–362.
- Gilman, D. C.; Thurston, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). "Endemann, Wilhelm". New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
- HathiTrust Digital Library (published works)
|This German law related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|