Gompertz was previously director of Tate Media, and appeared in a show at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2009 called Double Art History. Gompertz has written extensively for The Guardian and The Times newspapers. He is the author of What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in the Blink of an Eye and Think Like an Artist.
He is the son of general practitioner Hugh Gompertz OBE and a second cousin of Simon Gompertz, the personal finance correspondent to BBC News. He was born in Tenterden, Kent, and attended Bedford School. He did not take any A-levels.
- BBC News appoints Will Gompertz as first Arts Editor BBC Press Office, 28 August 2009
- "Barbican appoints Will Gompertz as new Director of Arts and Learning | Barbican". www.barbican.org.uk. 19 March 2021. Retrieved 27 March 2021.
- "Will Gompertz to take over as Director of the Sir John Soane's Museum". ianVisits. 4 August 2023. Retrieved 4 August 2023.
- BBC News hires Tate Media's Will Gompertz as arts editor The Guardian, 2 September 2009
- Lewis, Ben (9 September 2012). "What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in the Blink of an Eye by Will Gompertz – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- Kampfner, John (19 July 2015). "Think Like an Artist review – where's the big picture?". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 October 2021.
- Will Gompertz: "We're brought up to be intimidated by art" The Observer 25 July 2010 Retrieved 29 March 2011