William B. Clagett
|William B. Clagett|
William B. Clagett, Maryland Comptroller 1910–1911
|21st Comptroller of Maryland|
June 1, 1910 – July 25, 1911
|Preceded by||Joshua W. Hering|
|Succeeded by||Charles H. Stanley|
|Maryland State Senator|
1898–1901 and 1906–1910
|Constituency||Prince George's County, Maryland|
August 13, 1854|
near Upper Marlboro, Maryland
|Died||July 25, 1911
Buffalo Lithia Springs, Virginia
|Resting place||Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church, Upper Marlboro, Maryland|
|Spouse(s)||Kate Croswell Duckett (1857–1906) on December 3, 1883; Estelle Noble Keiholtz (d. 1933) c. 1909|
|Relations||Charles Clagett and Mary (Mullikin) Clagett|
|Children||Marguerite Waring (1886–1949), Rachel, Louise, Charles (with second wife), and William B. Jr.|
|Residence||Upper Marlboro, Maryland|
William Baruch Clagett (August 12 or 13, 1854 – July 25, 1911) was a Maryland tidewater tobacco farmer. In 1892, he was appointed as tobacco inspector[note 1] by Governor Frank Brown; he also served as chair of the Democratic State Central Committee. In 1894, Clagett missed election to the U.S. House of Representatives by one vote. Instead, Clagett entered politics when elected as a state senator from Prince George's County in 1897, serving from 1898–1901 and 1906–1910. Governor Austin L. Crothers appointed Clagett as the 21st Comptroller of Maryland, replacing Joshua W. Hering who had been appointed to the Maryland Public Service Commission. Clagett died of Bright's disease and was interred at Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church, in Upper Marlboro, where he had served as a vestryman. As of March 2002, Clagett's farm, Navajo, was still in operation, by the eleventh generation of his family. After descendant Charles Clagett's death in 1971, with his will having made clear that he wanted the property used for educational purposes, his estate bequeathed the farm's 283 acres (115 ha) to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation in 1981.
- "William B. Clagett". msa.maryland.gov. Maryland State Archives. March 25, 2002. Retrieved June 24, 2017.
- "Marguerite Waring Clagett Addison". findagrave.com. The Washington Post. February 9, 1949. Retrieved June 24, 2017.
- "William B. Clagett (1854–1911)". comptroller.marylandtaxes.com. Comptroller of Maryland. Retrieved June 24, 2017.
- Maryland Manual. 112. Maryland State Archives. 1900. p. 204. Retrieved June 24, 2017.
- Glaros, Tony (October 17, 1993). "Kernels of Knowledge". The Washington Post. via HighBeam (subscription required). Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Vesey, Tom (December 3, 1981). "Gift of Estate To Aid Study Of Bay's Ecology: Foundation to Use Estate for Study of Bay". The Washington Post.
Joshua W. Hering
|Comptroller of Maryland
June 1910 – July 25, 1911
Charles H. Stanley