William Fulton (mathematician)
William Fulton at Oberwolfach in 2006
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Awards||Leroy P. Steele Prize (2010)|
|Institutions||University of Michigan|
University of Chicago
|Doctoral advisor||Gerard Washnitzer|
|Other academic advisors||John Milnor|
John Coleman Moore
|Doctoral students||Robert Lazarsfeld|
Education and career
He received his undergraduate degree from Brown University in 1961 and his doctorate from Princeton University in 1966. His Ph.D. thesis, written under the supervision of Gerard Washnitzer, was on The fundamental group of an algebraic curve.
Fulton worked at Princeton and Brandeis University from 1965 until 1970, when he began teaching at Brown. In 1987 he moved to the University of Chicago. He is, as of 2011, a professor at the University of Michigan.
Fulton is known as the author or coauthor of a number of popular texts, including Algebraic Curves and Representation Theory.
Awards and honors
In 1996 he received the Steele Prize for mathematical exposition for his text Intersection Theory. Fulton is a member of the U. S. National Academy of Sciences and was elected a foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 2000. In 2010, he was awarded the Steele Prize for Lifetime Achievement. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Algebraic Curves: An Introduction To Algebraic Geometry, with Richard Weiss. New York: Benjamin, 1969. Reprint ed.: Redwood City, CA, USA: Addison-Wesley, Advanced Book Classics, 1989. ISBN 0-201-51010-3. Full text online.
- William Fulton (1998), Intersection theory, Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete. 3. Folge. A Series of Modern Surveys in Mathematics [Results in Mathematics and Related Areas. 3rd Series. A Series of Modern Surveys in Mathematics], 2 (2nd ed.), Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, doi:10.1007/978-1-4612-1700-8, ISBN 978-3-540-62046-4, MR 1644323, ISBN 978-0-387-98549-7 1st edn. 1984.
- Fulton, William; Harris, Joe (1991). Representation Theory, A First Course. Graduate Texts in Mathematics. 129. Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 978-0-387-97495-8. MR 1153249.
- Announcement of the 1996 Steele Prizes at the American Mathematical Society web site, accessed July 15, 2009.
- University of Michigan mathematics department, alphabetical faculty listing, accessed November 13, 2011.
- http://www.ams.org/ams/press/steele-lifetime-2010.html AMS announcement of 2010 Steele Prize for Lifetime Achievement
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-12-29.
- Kleiman, Steven L. (1985). "Review: Intersection theory, by W. Fulton and Introduction to intersection theory in algebraic geometry, by W. Fulton" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 12 (1): 137–143. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1985-15319-4.