William Herbert Hunt
|William Herbert Hunt|
March 6, 1929|
El Dorado, Arkansas, US
|Occupation||Heir, owner of 25% of Halcon|
|Net worth||$2.0 billion (January 2015)|
H. L. Hunt|
|Relatives||Margaret Hunt Hill, H. L. Hunt III, Nelson Bunker Hunt, Caroline Rose Hunt, and Lamar Hunt (siblings)|
William Herbert Hunt (born March 6, 1929) is an American oil billionaire, who along with his brothers Nelson Bunker Hunt and Lamar Hunt tried but failed to corner the world market in silver. According to Forbes, as of January 2015 his net worth is estimated at $2.0 billion.
In the 1970s Hunt and his brother Nelson Bunker Hunt acquired 195 million ounces of silver, worth nearly $10 billion at the peak. When the price of silver collapsed 80% in 1980 the brothers lost their fortune in the silver trading scandal called Silver Thursday; together they lost a billion dollars. William Herbert Hunt went bankrupt in 1990, but came back to power[clarification needed] years later.
In 2012, Hunt sold a minor portion of Petro-Hunt’s assets in the Williston Basin to Halcon Resources for $1.45 billion, lifting his net wealth to an estimated $3 billion. Petro-Hunt continues to operate in the Williston Basin and across the US.
- "W. Herbert Hunt". Forbes. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- McFadden, Robert D. (October 22, 2014). "Nelson Bunker Hunt, 88, Oil Tycoon With a Texas-Size Presence, Dies". New York Times. Retrieved February 26, 2016.
- Eichenwald, Kurt (December 21, 1989). "2 Hunts Fined And Banned From Trades". New York Times. Retrieved April 13, 2008.
- "Nelson Hunt Denies Plotting to Manipulate Silver Market". Los Angeles Times. June 2, 1988. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Robert Wilonsky (November 30, 1995). "Giddy-up!". Dallas Observer. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Energy tycoons on Forbes 400 list". 13 November 2014.
- Rupert Cornwall. "Nelson Bunker Hunt dead: Former world's richest man dies in 'modest circumstances' in US after losing his fortune".
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|