William James Gregory Keegan, CBE (born 3 July 1938) is a British journalist and a fiction and non-fiction author. He was Economics Editor of The Observer from 1977 to 2003, and continues to contribute to the paper as a columnist.
Education and early life
Keegan became a journalist at the Financial Times in 1963; he moved to the Daily Mail in 1964, then returned for a nine-year spell at the Financial Times in 1967. He then worked in the Bank of England Economics Intelligence Department, and as assistant to the Bank's Governor, from 1976 to 1977.
He has sat on a number of committees and advisory boards, beginning in 1981 on the BBC Advisory Committee on Business and Industrial Affairs. Keegan has authored two fiction books, in 1974 and 1976, and eight books on economics and politics, between 1978 and 2012.
In 1989 he became a visiting professor of journalism at the University of Sheffield, and in 2012 a visiting professor of economics at Queen Mary University of London. He is also a visiting professor at The Policy Institute, King's College London, and is involved in The Strand Group seminar series there.
- Consulting Father Wintergreen (Unknown, 1974).
- A Real Killing (St Martins Pr, 1977).
- (with Rupert Pennant-Rea), Who Runs the Economy? Control and Influence in British Economic Policy (London: Temple Smith, 1979).
- Mrs. Thatcher's Economic Experiment (London: Allen Lane, 1984; 2nd ed. 1985).
- Britain Without Oil (London: Harmondsworth, 1985).
- Mr. Lawson's Gamble (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1989).
- The Spectre of Capitalism (Radius, 1992).
- 2066 and All That: Britain and Europe Sort it Out (Iynx Publishing, 2000).
- The Prudence of Mr. Gordon Brown (John Wiley & Sons, 2003).
- Saving the World? - Gordon Brown Reconsidered (Searching Finance Ltd, 2012).
- Mr Osborne's Economic Experiment (Searching Finance Ltd, 2014).
- (with David Marsh and Richard Roberts), Six Days in September: Black Wednesday, Brexit and the making of Europe (OMFIF Press, 2017).
- "William James Gregory KEEGAN". People of Today. Debrett's. Retrieved 21 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Keegan, William (James Gregory)". Writers Directory 2005. Highbeam. 2004. Archived from the original on 24 February 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Keegan CBE, William". King's College London. Retrieved 29 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Strand Group". King's College London. 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Peter Gruner (6 March 2009). "'Your Majesty, I'm one of those writers'". Islington Tribune. Retrieved 21 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "William Keegan | The Guardian Journalist | Muck Rack". muckrack.com.