Wisconsin Lutheran High School
|Wisconsin Lutheran High School|
|330 N. Glenview Ave.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53213-3379
|Denomination||Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod|
|President||Pastor Kenneth Fisher|
|Age||14 to 18|
|Number of students||862|
|School colour(s)||Royal blue, white, and red|
|Song||Lutheran High School, hats off to thee|
|Athletics conference||Wisconsin Little Ten|
Wisconsin Lutheran High School, commonly referred to as WLHS or Wisco, is a private preparatory religious high school located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Originally part of Lutheran High School (LHS), it is the oldest Lutheran high school in America. It is owned and operated by various Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) congregations in the Milwaukee area.
Wisconsin Lutheran High School's curriculum includes Advanced Placement courses, Project Lead the Way – a high-level engineering curriculum, and a Resource Center for those who need academic support. WLHS has attained accreditation at the exemplary level through Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod School Accreditation (WELSSA), Wisconsin Religious and Independent School Association (WRISA), and the National Council for Private School Accreditation (NCPSA).
Wisconsin Lutheran High School is a PAVE school. PAVE is an independent, non-profit foundation funded through corporate, foundation and individual support. It aims to give low-income families in Milwaukee options when selecting schools for their children.
WLHS won state Division III football championships in 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2014. It was runner up in 2003 and 2011. The school won the Division II basketball state championship for the first time in 2009. WLHS also won the Division II basketball state championship in 2014. The WLHS boys cross country team has won the WIAA Division 2 State Championship three times: in 2011, 2013, and 2014.
The high school's cheerleading program has won nine state championships (1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009,2010,2012, and 2015) and in 2009 made it to finals at the National High School Cheerleading Competition in Orlando, Florida. They reached sixth place at the competition. WISCO was also a national finalist in 2011 and 2015.
- David Craig, politician
- Harvey Kuenn, former player and manager, Major League Baseball, Class of 1949
- Mark Wilson, five-time winner on the PGA Tour, Class of 1993
- Kevin Zeitler, NFL offensive guard, Cincinnati Bengals, Class of 2008
- "School Detail for Wisconsin Lutheran High School". National Center for Education Statistics. 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- "News & Media". WELS. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- Krause, Carol (2007). "School History". WLHS Website. Archived from the original on June 28, 2009. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "Football Results 1999-2008". Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association. 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 2011–2012,' Biographical Sketch of David Craig, pg. 75
- 'WLHS Hall of Fame Class of 2013 Inductees,' http://www.wlhs.org/alumni/halloffame.html
- 'WLHS Hall of Fame Class of 2008 Inductees,' http://www.wlhs.org/alumni/halloffame.html