Wolfgang P. Schleich
Education, work and career
From 1980 to 1984, Wolfgang Schleich performed work on his diploma thesis and his Ph.D. with Marlan O. Scully at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, with an intermediate research visit at the Institute of Modern Optics, Albuquerque, from 1982 to 1983. After completion of his Ph.D., he performed post-doctorate research with John Archibald Wheeler at the Center for Theoretical Physics in Austin, Texas, USA.
From 1986 to 1991, he worked as research scientist at the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics in Garching under Herbert Walther. In 1991, Schleich was nominated professor of theoretical physics at the University of Ulm. He is editor of the journal Optics Communications. He is author of several books, including Quantum Optics in Phase Space and Elements of quantum information.
His areas of research include the foundations of quantum physics, as well as quantum mechanics in relation to general relativity and to number theory. His recent work includes elaborations on the role of the Wigner function in terms of quantum optics.
- 1983: Otto Hahn Medal
- 1991: Physics Award of the Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft
- 1993: Ernst Abbe Medal
- 1995: Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize
- 2002: Max Planck Research Award
- 2007: First Class Medal of the Czech Technical University in Prague
- 2008: Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics
- 2008: Distinguished Professor at the University of North Texas
- Wolfgang P. Schleich, H. Walther: Elements of quantum information, Wiley-VCH, 2007, ISBN 978-3527407255
- Wolfgang P. Schleich: Quantum optics in phase space, Wiley-VCH, 2001, ISBN 978-3527294350
- Wolfgang P. Schleich: Ode to a Quantum Physicist: A Festschrift in Honor of Marlan O. Scully, Elsevier Science & Technology, 2000, ISBN 978-0444505385
- Wolfgang Schleich: Optische Tests der allgemeinen Relativitätstheorie, Universität München (Diss.) / Max-Planck-Institut für Quantenoptik, 1984
- Wolfgang Schleich: Quantenfluktuationen in Ringlaser-Gyroskopen, Max-Planck-Institut für Quantenoptik, 1981
- Schleich, Wolfgang P., Institut für Quantenphysik, Universität Ulm
- "He [...] is the author of the highly acclaimed textbook Quantum Optics in Phase Space. Here he has promoted an approach towards quantum optics based on the Wigner function." Cited from: The 2008 Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics, www.lambaward.org
- O.M. Friesch, I. Marzoli, W.P. Schleich: Quantum carpets woven by Wigner functions, New Journal of Physics, vol. 2, no. 4, 2000 doi:10.1088/1367-2630/2/1/004
- The 2008 Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics, www.lambaward.org