Wolsingham Community College
|Current Headteacher||Lee Elliott|
Wolsingham, Bishop Auckland
|DfE URN||114297 Tables|
Wolsingham School is part of Wolsingham School which has classes on three floors and a big playground. The school is situated just off the A689, and near the River Wear in the former district of Wear Valley. This is the former grammar school. The whole school takes students at the ages of 11-18. In the past the lower site was the site for Key Stage 3, while the upper site was for Key Stage 4. This system no longer exists, but instead the sixth form is based on the top floor of the new extension.
Wolsingham had two schools - Wolsingham Grammar School on Main Road and Wolsingham Secondary Modern School. The grammar school opened in 1614, with new buildings opening in 1911.
It gets GCSE results at the England average but they get over average for their area, with improving GCSE results ever year for the past few years
Wolsingham Grammar School
- Ernest Armstrong, Labour MP from 1964-87 of North West Durham
- Prof William Laurence Burn, historian, Professor of Modern History from 1944-66 at Newcastle University
- Air Vice-Marshal Robert Davis CB, Station Commander from 1975-77 of RAF Leuchars and Commander from 1980-3 of British Forces Cyprus
- Prof Brian Foster OBE, Professor of Experimental Physics since 2003 at the University of Oxford, and at the University of Bristol from 1996–2003
- Rev Roger Hall MBE QHC, Chaplain to the Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula since 2007
- John James CB OBE, town planner, Professor of Town and Regional Planning from 1967-77 at the University of Sheffield
- Fred Peart, Baron Peart, Labour MP from 1945-76 for Workington, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food from 1964-8 and 1974-6
- Brian Peart, Chief Administrator from 1976-80 of ADAS
- Sir Harold Shearman, Labour politician, Chairman from 1964-66 of the Greater London Council, and President from 1962-71 of the School Journey Association, and member of the Robbins Committee.