Wonhee Anne Joh
This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wonhee Anne Joh
|Nationality||South Korean, American|
|Occupation||Author, professor, lecturer|
Wonhee Anne Joh is an author, theologian, professor and lecturer whose influence in the disciplines of religion, women's equality, and the Asian American experience has created a great deal of thought and positive discourse.
Joh is a Professor of Theology and Culture at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois. She is also serving as an invited affiliate faculty in Depts. of Religious Studies and Asian American Studies Program and faculty member of Religion and Global Politics Group (Buffett Institute) at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. Joh describes her teaching philosophy to include "As a teacher, I believe that transformative praxis begins with each of us in our everyday lives. Theological reflection is crucial because the meaning of our lives is often understood through the prism of religious experience. Therefore, theological reflection must be bold and imaginative as well as grounded in the material reality of history of peoples' lives." 
Heart of the Cross: A Postcolonial Christology
Joh's renowned book Heart of the Cross: A Postcolonial Christology (2006) Westminster John Knox Press, Louisville, Kentucky, is a theological masterpiece. "Utilizing the Korean concept of jeong, Joh constructs a theology that is feminist, political and love-centered, while acknowledging the cross as source of pain and suffering. Joh's innovative vision is a call for political love that is stronger than powers of oppression." 
"Wonhee Anne Joh's book, Heart of The Cross, also contributes to the conversation not only with postcolonial theory but also with other theories such as post-structuralism, psychoanalysis, and liberationist feminist hermeneutics. In this book, Joh investigates the specific theological category, Christology, by drawing on her Asian/Korean American experience." 
- Heart of the Cross: A Postcolonial Christology. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2006
- Terror, Trauma and Mourning : A Postcolonial Theology of Hope. Under contract and forthcoming with Fordham University Press.
- Engaging the United States as a Military Empire : Critical Studies of Christianity from Asian/Asian North American Perspectives. Ed. Anne Joh and Nami Kim. New York, NY: Palgrave, 2016.
- Korean Christian LGBT: A Critical Approach. Ed. Anne Joh and Nami Kim. Forthcoming.
- "Creating Ethical Faith Communities – Anne Joh". The Middle Project: preparing ethical leaders for a just society. The Middle Project Inc. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Wonhee Anne Joh: Associate Professor of Systematic Theology". Garrett: Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary. Garrett University. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- "Heart of the Cross: A Postcolonial Christology, Book Description". WJK Westminster John Knox Press. Westminster John Knox Press. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Kim, Hyun Hui. "Asian Feminist Theology". DREW. Drew University. Retrieved 2 October 2016.