Woodlands (New Westminster)
Woodlands or Woodlands School was a hospital in New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada that served as a psychiatric hospital and later as a facility for children with a developmental disorder, as well as runaways and wards of the state. Many incidents of abuse took place there.
Woodlands opened in 1878 as the Provincial Lunatic Asylum. In 1897 the name was changed to The Provincial Hospital for the Insane. In 1950 the name was changed again to Woodlands School. Woodlands closed in 1996.
After proposals to preserve Woodlands' Centre Block Tower were opposed by former residents, New Westminster council voted in July 2011 to demolish the tower.
- Fryer, Alan (October 21, 2006). "The Children of Woodlands". W-Five, CTV. Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- Hager, Mike (July 13, 2011). "Council votes to demolish last of Woodlands hospital buildings". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- Gregory, Roxanne (March 23, 2006). "Woodlands justice in doubt". Georgia Straight. Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- "History - BC Mental Health Timeline". BC Mental Health & Addiction Services. Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- "Asylum: a long, last look at Woodlands". Retrieved July 13, 2011.