World Fiddle Day
World Fiddle Day was founded by Donegal fiddler Caoimhin Mac Aoidh in 2012. The May date was chosen to coincide with the 1737 death of Italian violin craftsman Antonio Stradivari. The first Toronto celebration was held in 2013 and that year there was a celebration in Winnipeg as well.
In 2015, Canada declared World Fiddle Day to be National Fiddle Day as well. There were celebrations in Owen Sound,Ontario, St. John's, Newfoundland and Toronto. The Ottawa Fiddle and Stepdancing Competition was held in Richmond, Ontario.
In 2016 a World Fiddle Day celebration was held at Fort York in Toronto on May 21. Yosvani Castañeda Valdés demonstrated Cuban fiddling, while Dan MacDonald performed and presented a workshop about Cape Breton fiddling style. Other events were held in Owen Sound, Ontario and Scartaglin, County Kerry, Ireland.
- "National Fiddle Day: The difference between a fiddle and a violin". CBC News, By Lisa Blackburn, May 21, 2016
- "World Fiddle Day in Kerry village of Scartaglin pays tribute to Sliabh Luachra master Pádraig O’Keeffe". Irish Examiner, May 13, 2016 Pet O’Connell
- "Cape Breton fiddler patron of World Fiddle Day". Cape Breton Post May 12, 2015. Laura Jean Grant
- "Strike up the bows! C.B. musician named World Fiddle Day patron". Chronicle Herald, Andrew Rankin May 14, 2015
- "1st World Fiddle Day". Manitoba Fiddling Association, 5/18/2013
- "Fiddle playing food for the soul". By Scott Dunn, Sun Times, Owen Sound, , May 21, 2016
- "First Canadian fiddle day kicks off with tunes in St. John's" CBC News May 16, 2015
- "For the love of the fiddle". By Denis Langlois, Sun Times, Owen Sound, May 17, 2015.
- "World Fiddle Day embraced" CTV Toronto News.
- "Fiddling, stepdancing event held in Richmond". Stittsville News, John Brummell. Jun 02, 2015
- " World Fiddle Day Toronto at Fort York inspires musicians". Parkdale Villager, May 21, 2016. By Lisa Rainford
- "A fine day for fiddling around: Fort York hosts a celebration of stringed joy". Toronto Star, Wendy Gillis May 21, 2016