|The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show episode|
|Episode no.||Season 5
Episode 9 (12 segments)
|Directed by||Gerard Baldwin, Pete Burness, Bill Hurtz, Gerry Ray, Bob Schleh, George Singer, Ernie Terrazas|
|Written by||George Atkins, Chris Hayward, Chris Jenkins, Lloyd Turner|
|Original air date||1963–1964|
Wossamotta U — a mondegreen of "what's the matter [with] you" — is the ninth story arc from the fifth season of The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, originally titled The Bullwinkle Show. It was broadcast on the NBC network during the 1963–1964 television season.
When two scouts see Bullwinkle tossing Rocky, Rocky and Bullwinkle are offered scholarships to Wossamotta U., a school with a dreadful football record. Bullwinkle's passing skills enable Wossamotta to consistently win, so Boris concocts the fiendish plan of having his team of brutal thugs and murderers, the Mud City Manglers (coached by Fearless Leader), compete — disguised as girls. Since the latter are certain to lose, Boris can safely bet the Pottsylvania treasury on their winning, and rake in a fortune at 200:1 odds. The Big Game is played following Civil War ("Tha's War between the States!") battle plans, and proceed to play on until Bullwinkle scores a decisive Touchdown to win the game. However...
This episode ends with Rocky and Bullwinkle winning the game, and being declared Heroes as they often are. Yet in this instance, that is strangely not the case. This episode showed Rocky and Bullwinkle winning in the end and winning for Wossamotta U, but after proper calculations of all points scored by both teams, it has been discovered that Wossamotta U lost the game instead. The game's score count and how it was scored is shown below:
The Mud City Manglers had a Touchdown that was raised from 6 points to 7 points. Later, The Manglers received a touchback that was raised from 2 points to 3 points... Total points for Mud City Manglers at the end of the game was 10.
Wossamotta U got a Touchdown for 6 points but was decreased to 3 points. At the end of the game, Wossamotta U scored a Touchdown for a full 6 points... Total Score for Wossamotta U at the end of the game was 9. The game immediately concluded after the Touchdown with no Field Goal attempt afterward, therefore the score for Wossamotta U remained 9.
After the final touchdown, Rocky shouts "Wossamotta Wins!"(Wossomatto U had lost the game according to the score.) Everyone in the bleachers left since the game was declared over. After a humorous scene of Boris Badenov and Fearless Leader getting blown into the air by a stepped-on landmine in the Wossamotta U goal zone, the Announcer later says that "Wossamotta U finished its season unbeaten!", but a critical mathematical oversight proves otherwise.
The dialog includes one of the series' most-memorable exchanges. When Rocky is informed they'll be playing against females —
- "Bullwinkle, this is terrible!"
- "It is?"
- "What kind of game can you play with girls?"
- [addressing the audience] "Boy, this really is a children's show, isn't it?" <beat> "Parcheesi, of course!"
- Wossamotta U
- Aesop and Son: The Fox and the Hound
- Mr. Know-It-All: How to be a Top Flight Stock Salesman
- Peabody's Improbable History: Lord Francis Douglas
- A College for Two or Rock Enrolls
- The Hidden Ball Play or Goal Is Where You Find It
- Fractured Fairy Tales: Snow White Meets Rapunzel
- Bullwinkle's Corner: Simple Simon
- Dudley Do-Right: Trading Places
- Wager at Dawn or Early to Bet
- Standing Room Only or Bullwinkle Sells Out
- Fractured Fairy Tales: The Seven Chicken
- Mr. Know It-All: How To Buy A Used Car
- Peabody's Improbable History: Christopher Columbus
- Bullwinkle Scores Again or Fool’s Goal
- Rogue’s Gallery or Hold That Line-Up
- Aesop And Son: The Tree Bears
- Mr. Know-It-All: How To Direct A Temperamental Movie Star
- Peabody's Improbable History: Lawrence Of Arabia
- Male Bags or Homely Are the Brave
- Mine Eyes Have Seen the Gory or Moose’s In the Col’ Col’ Ground
- Fractured Fairy Tales: Tale Of A Frog
- Bullwinkle's Corner: Grandfather's Clock
- Dudley Do-Right: Mechanical Dudley
- Bullwinkle’s Battle Plan or Civil Defense
- Bullwinkle Buys a Fence or Pickets Charge
- Fractured Fairy Tales: The Powerful Duke
- Bullwinkle's Corner: The Cherry Tree
- Dudley Do-Right: Mechanical Dudley
- A Rock for Rock or To Each His Stone
In the late 1970s, this story arc was released in complete form on an RCA SelectaVision disc, including episodes of Fractured Fairy Tales, Peabody & Sherman, and Dudley Do-Right. In the early 1990s, it was released in a version that deleted about seven minutes, as the main feature of the video "Norman Moosewell" (VHS and LV). These episodes have been excerpted on the 2007 Best of Rocky and Bullwinkle: Volume 2 DVD. Volume 5 of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, released on March 29, 2011, includes all 12 episodes, unedited.