||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Screenshot of wpa_gui
|Developer(s)||Jouni Malinen and others|
|Initial release||April 5, 2003|
|Stable release||2.5 / September 27, 2015|
wpa_supplicant is a free software implementation of an IEEE 802.11i supplicant for Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, QNX, AROS, Microsoft Windows, Solaris, OS/2 (including eComStation) and Haiku. In addition to being a fully featured WPA2 supplicant, it also implements WPA and older wireless LAN security protocols. Features include:
- WPA and full IEEE 802.11i/RSN/WPA2
- WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK ("WPA-Personal", pre-shared key)
- WPA with EAP ("WPA-Enterprise", for example with RADIUS authentication server)
- key management for CCMP, TKIP, WEP (both 104/128- and 40/64-bit)
- RSN: PMKSA caching, pre-authentication
- IEEE 802.11r
- IEEE 802.11w
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
Included with the supplicant are a GUI and a command-line utility for interacting with the running supplicant. From either of these interfaces it is possible to review a list of currently visible networks, select one of them, provide any additional security information needed to authenticate with the network (for example, a passphrase, or username and password) and add it to the preference list to enable automatic reconnection in the future.
The graphical user interface is built on top of the Qt library.
wpa_supplicant can authenticate with any of the following EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) methods: EAP-TLS, EAP-PEAP (both PEAPv0 and PEAPv1), EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM, EAP-AKA, EAP-AKA', EAP-pwd, EAP-EKE, EAP-PSK (experimental), EAP-FAST, EAP-PAX, EAP-SAKE, EAP-GPSK, EAP-IKEv2, EAP-MD5, EAP-MSCHAPv2, and LEAP (requires special functions in the driver).
- "Index of /releases". w1.fi. 2015-09-27. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Linux WPA Supplicant (IEEE 802.1X, WPA, WPA2, RSN, IEEE 802.11i)". w1.fi. Retrieved 2014-07-04.