|Developer(s)||Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions|
X-Road is a "centrally managed distributed Data Exchange Layer (DXL) between information systems". Organizations can exchange information over the Internet using X-Road to ensures confidentiality, integrity and interoperability between data exchange parties.
The first X-Road iteration was developed and launched by Estonia's Information System Authority (RIA) in 2001. The source codes of its central components were released on October 3, 2016 under an MIT License. By February 7, 2018, Finland's and Estonia's data exchange layers were connected to one another. In 2017 Finland and Estonia established the Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions (NIIS) to continue the development of the X-Road core.
According to their web page, "The X-Road is an open source data exchange layer solution that enables organizations to exchange information over the Internet. The X-Road is a centrally managed distributed integration layer between Information Systems that provides a standardized and secure way to produce and consume services. The X-Road ensures confidentiality, integrity and interoperability between data exchange parties."
February 7, 2018, Finland's and Estonia's data exchange layers were connected to one another. X-Road is used nationwide in the Estonian public administration (X-tee) and in the Suomi.fi Data Exchange Layer (Suomi.fi-palveluväylä) service. X-Road has built-in support for connecting two X-Road ecosystems with each other which enables a native cross-border data exchange between Estonia and Finland.
Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions (NIIS)
The Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions (NIIS) was founded jointly in June 2017 by Finland and Estonia, with a mission "to develop e-governance solutions...with the X-Road technology used nationwide in the Estonian X-tee and in the Finnish Suomi.fi Data Exchange Layer services".
The NIIS manages, develops, verifies, and audits X-Road's source code; administers documentation, business and technical requirements; conducts development; develops and implements principles of licensing and distribution; provides second-line support for members, and engages in international cooperation.
X-Road and blockchain
By April 2018, a number of articles erroneously stated that X-Road is a "blockchain-based technology or it utilizes blockchain internally". According to an April 18, 2018 article by Petteri Kivimäki the CTO of the Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions (NIIS), "There is no blockchain technology in the X-Road." Kivimäki "was the technical lead of X-Road implementation project in Finland and was coordinating the joint open source development of the X-Road solution between Finland and Estonia."
- "X-Road® Data Exchange Layer". X-Road® Data Exchange Layer. Retrieved 2019-10-11.
- "Data Exchange Layer X-tee | Estonian Information System Authority". x-tee.html. Retrieved 2019-10-11.
- "Source codes released to central components of X-Road used by Estonia and Finland". Population Register Centre. Finland. October 3, 2016. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Finland's and Estonia's data exchange layers connected to one another on 7 February". Population Register Centre. Finland. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions". Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions (NIIS). Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- Kivimäki, Petteri (April 26, 2018). "There is no blockchain technology in the X-Road". Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Introduction to X-Road (part 1)". Information System Authority. Estonia. August 8, 2016. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- "Data Exchange Layer X-Road". Information System Authority, Estonia. February 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
X-Road, the data exchange layer for information systems, is a technological and organizational environment enabling a secure Internet-based data exchange between information systems
- NIIS 2017 Yearbook (PDF)
- Heller, Nathan (December 18, 2017). "Estonia, the Digital Republic". The New Yorker. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- "Recently there have been multiple writings about the X-Road". e-Estonia via Twitter. May 18, 2018. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Petteri Kivimäki". MyData 2018. Speakers' profiles. Helsinki, Finland. nd. Retrieved August 14, 2018.