Xiomara Laugart Sanchez is a Cuban singer currently based in Massachusetts. Before emigrating to the United States, Laugart had an extensive career performing nueva trova music in Cuba and she has recorded over 17 albums.
Xiomara Laugart was born in the Guantanamo province of Cuba. She attended college and pursued a degree in Economics, then began her musical career through the nueva trova musical political protest movement, which was popular throughout the 1960s and 1990s.
2003–05: Yerba Buena
2007–08: Celia: The Life and Music of Celia Cruz
In 2007, Laugart was cast as Celia Cruz in the Off-Broadway musical, Celia: The Life and Music of Celia Cruz, a tribute to the life of the late Cuban-American singer. Celia ran at New World Stages in New York, New York from September 26, 2007 until May 25, 2008. During that tour period, the musical made stops at: Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, Washington, D.C., and Boston, as well as a South American tour. The musical won four Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors (HOLA) awards in 2008.
With Yerba Buena
- President Alien (2003)
- Island Life (2005)
- "The Arsht Center's Entertaining Summer". Miami Herald. Miami Herald. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Johnson, Catalina Maria. "Xiomara Laugart: The Voice of Cuba". Chicago Music. Archived from the original on April 12, 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Gans, Andrew. "Laugart Will Star in New Celia Musical; Casting Complete". Playbill. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Moore, Robin (2004). "Transformations in Cuban Nueva Trova, 1965-95". Ethnomusicology. 47 (1): 1–41. JSTOR 852510.
- Domínguez, Robert. "Xiomara Laugart's Honored and Nervous to Play Queen of Salsa Onstage". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Celia". Lortel Archives. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Celia Musical — Based on Life of Celia Cruz — to Play New World Stages". Playbill. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Xiomara Laugart | Album Discography | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
|This article about a Cuban singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|