Sylla with Rennes in 2016
|Full name||Yacouba Sylla|
|Date of birth||29 November 1990|
|Place of birth||Étampes, France|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Montpellier (on loan from Rennes)|
|2014–2015||→ Kayseri Erciyesspor (loan)||27||(1)|
|2016–||→ Montpellier (loan)||14||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 05 March 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 16 June 2013
Yacouba Sylla (born 29 November 1990) is a professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Montpellier on loan from Rennes, and the Mali national football team, having represented France as a youth international.
Prior to joining Clermont Foot where Sylla signed his first professional contract he had a year's stint with first division club SM Caen. Before that, Sylla had started his career with hometown Parisian club Étampes FC before joining nearby club CSF Brétigny, which produced France internationals Patrice Evra and Jimmy Briand. After four years in Brétigny, Sylla spent the next four years roaming around clubs in the Lower Normandy region such as AS Montferrand, SC Malesherbes, and Caen. And then in 2009, he signed an amateur contract with Clermont where he was inserted into Clermont's reserve team for the 2009–10 season. He appeared in 17 matches scoring one goal.
For the 2010–11 season, Sylla was promoted to the senior team by manager Michel Der Zakarian. He made his professional debut on 15 October 2010 in a league match against Le Mans playing the entire match in a 2–0 defeat. Sylla subsequently appeared as a starter in the team's next seven matches. His performances domestically led to interest from German club VfB Stuttgart and Italian club Udinese. In order to decrease the interest Clermont signed Sylla to his first professional contract, which ran from 22 November 2010 until June 2014.
Kayseri Erciyesspor (loan)
Sylla was born in France but has Malian heritage, which meant that he was eligible to represent either France or Mali. He made one appearance for France's under-21 team on 24 March 2011, in a 3–2 friendly victory over Spain. Sylla was a late substitute for Antoine Griezmann and played the final few minutes of the game.
Following his move to Aston Villa and positive form towards the end to the 2012–13 season, Sylla was called up to represent Mali for the first time. He first played in an unofficial friendly against the national team of Brittany, France, a side not affiliated with FIFA or UEFA on 28 May 2013. Mali lost 1–0.
Sylla's official, full international début for Mali came on 9 June 2012 in a 1–1 FIFA World Cup qualification draw with Rwanda. Sylla replaced Wolverhampton Wanderers player Tongo Doumbia in the 70th minute. Sylla started and played the full 90 minutes in Mali's 2–2 draw with Benin seven days later, but Mali were unfortunately eliminated from the competition.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Clermont Foot||2010–11||Ligue 2||20||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||21||0|
|Aston Villa||2012–13||Premier League||11||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||11||0|
|Kayseri Erciyesspor||2014–15||Süper Lig||27||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||27||1|
|Stade Rennais F.C.||2015–16||Ligue 1||17||0||3||0||0||0||0||0||20||0|
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Yacouba Sylla (Rennes) prêté à Montpellier (officiel)‚ 25 August 2016
- "Yacouba Sylla" (in French). SM Caen Jeunes. 28 July 2008. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "Yacouba Sylla Profile" (in French). Foot-National. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "Le Mans v. Clermont Match Report" (in French). Ligue de Football Professionnel. 15 October 2010. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "La révélation Yacouba Sylla pisté par Stuttgart et l'Udinese" (in French). FootMercato. 12 November 2010. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "Yacouba Sylla passe pro" (in French). Clermont Foot. 22 November 2010. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "Y.Sylla passe pro" (in French). Mercato365. 22 November 2010. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "Sylla thrilled to join "dynamic and exciting young team"". Aston Villa F.C. 31 January 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Yacouba Sylla joins Turkish side Kayseri Erciyesspor on loan". BBC Sport. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Yacouba Sylla joined Stade Rennais FC". Stade Rennais FC. 22 June 2015.
- "Big names back for Brittany ahead of Mali encounter". NonFIFAFootball.blogspot.co.uk. 27 May 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "It was Brittany 1–0 Mali in a very wet Carquefou...". Guy Pakeman (@guypakeman) via Twitter. 28 May 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Mali 1–1 Rwanda". Yahoo! UK & Ireland / Eurosport. 9 June 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Yacouba Sylla". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Yacouba Sylla". Soccerway. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Yacouba Sylla at Soccerbase
- Aston Villa Official Website Player Profile
- Yacouba Sylla – French league stats at LFP