||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Yannis Kontos (Greek: Γιάννης Κόντος) (born 1971) is a Greek freelance photojournalist. Kontos has covered a variety of major events, wars and conflicts around the world and had his work published in newspapers, magazines, and books.
Life and work
From 1988 to 1994, Kontos studied at the Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science of the University of Thessaloniki. In 1996, he continued studying photography and in 2001, he graduated from the Department of Photography of the School of Graphic Arts and Art Studies at the Technological Educational Institute of Athens. In 2001, after an international competition, he attended the World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass in Rotterdam, Netherlands. He made postgraduate studies obtaining a Master of Arts in photographic journalism from the University of Westminster in London, on a Greek state scholarship.
From 1998 to 2000, Kontos worked as a photojournalist for the French agency Sygma. He continued working with the Gamma agency from 2001 to 2002. In 2002, he began working with Polaris Images, producing photojournalism and feature work.
- Possible/Impossible Aporias. Kastaniotis Editions, 2007. ISBN 978-960-03-4386-1. Foreword by John G. Morris, texts by Penelope Petsini and Thanassis Moutsopoulos.
- Red Utopia. Photographs from North Korea. Kastaniotis Editions, 2007. Text by Thanassis Moutsopoulos. ISBN 978-960-03-4350-2.
- Kabul Photographers Photosynkyria, Thessaloniki, 2004.
- Yannis Kontos: Photojournalist
- US/Mexico Border Crossing - Canon Exhibition Hall, Visa Pour l’image, Perpignan 2006.
- Possible / Impossible: Aporias, Frissiras Museum, Athens 2007.
- North Korea: Red Utopia, Frissiras Museum, Athens 2007.
- The Chronicle of Destruction Photosynkyria, Thessaloniki, 2000.
- Kurdistan: In the Shadow of History
- Identity 8th Joop Swart Masterclass exhibition, Nederlands Foto Institute, Rotterdam 2001.
- My Brother’s Image Photosynkyria, Thessaloniki, 2002.
- The Human Condition: After Effects Nathan Cummings Foundation, New York, 2003.
- World Press Photo Exhibition World Press Photo, international itinerant exhibition in 100 cities, 2006.
- Fresh Ground #2 Thanassis Frissiras Gallery, Athens 2006.
- Life magazine's Alfred Eisenstaedt Awards, News Category, 2000.
- N.P.P.A. The Best of Photojournalism, First Prize, Feature Picture Story, 2001.
- Fujifilm European Press Photographer of the Year, Features, 2004.
- Fujifilm European Press Photographer of the Year, Europe, 2005.
- Fujifilm Euro Press Photo Awards, National winner 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 & 2006.
- Pictures of the Year, Third Prize, Portrait, 2001.
- Pictures of the Year, Third Prize, Feature Picture, 2003.
- Pictures of the Year International, Award of Excellence, News Picture Story, 1999.
- Pictures of the Year International, Award of Excellence, Global News, 1999.
- Pictures of the Year International, Award of Excellence, Issue Reporting Picture story, 2001.
- UNICEF Photo of the Year Award, Honorable mention, 2001 & 2002.
- Grazia Neri, Yann Geffroy Award, First Prize, 2003.
- National Mental Health Association's Media Awards, First Prize, Photojournalism, 2004.
- 2006: Reader's Award, Days Japan International Photojournalism Awards.
- Pictures of the Year International, First Prize, Magazine Feature Picture, 2006.
- World Press Photo, First Prize, Contemporary Issues Singles, 2006.
- "Bio". Yannis Konto's Official Website. yanniskontos.com. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Foto Art Magazine - Yannis Kontos - Biography note, Exhibitions".
- "Thessaloniki Museum of Photography - Photosynkyria 2005 - Yannis Kontos, Photojournalist".
- "Athens Photo News - Awards".
- "Yannis Konto's Official Site - Awards".
- "Columbia University News - Alfred Eisenstaedt Awards 2000 Winners and Runners-up".
- "Pictures of the Year - Portrait - Third Prize - Yannis Kontos - Gamma Press - "Ariel Sharon: Electoral campaign"".
- "Pictures of the Year - Feature Picture - Third Prize - Yannis Kontos - Stern Magazine - "Iraq Destruction"".
- "Pictures of the Year - Issue Reporting Picture story - Award of Excellence - Yannis Kontos - Gamma Press - "Care Institution, Kulina Yugoslavia"".
- "UNICEF Photo of the Year Award 2001".
- "UNICEF Photo of the Year Award 2002".
- "Winner's List". Days Japan. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Pictures of the Year - Magazine Feature Picture - Awards".
- "Polaris News - Polaris photographers win two awards in World Press photo contest".
- "University of Westminster - First Prize, Contemporary Issues, World Press Photo Awards".