Yanyi is an associate editor at Foundry and an MFA candidate at New York University.  He was an Asian American Writers' Workshop Margins Fellow in 2017-2018. He was a 2015 Poets House Emerging Poets Fellow. 
The Year of Blue Water
In 2018, Yanyi's manuscript was selected as the winner of the Yale Series of Younger Poets Prize. Carl Phillips, the judge for the competition, said of his manuscript: “As its title implies, ‘The Year of Blue Water’ reads as a record of time, a kind of daybook of observations in sentences so crystalline, spare, direct, and yet offhand, that it can be easy to miss, at first, the book’s complexity...The poems...[invite] us into the life they invoke, a life that both argues for and is an example of how identity is multifaceted: the poems’ speaker is an artist, of an apparent immigrant background, is trans, is deeply invested in friendship as a rescuing form of community. Identity, then, as not any one of these things but all of them, each marker of identity at once incidental and essential.”
- "Yanyi". www.yanyiii.com. Retrieved 2019-05-05.
- "Year of Blue Water | Yale University Press". yalebooks.yale.edu. Retrieved 2019-05-05.
- "2017 AAWW Margins & Open City Fellows". aaww.org. Retrieved 2019-05-05.
- "Yanyi". Poets House. Retrieved 2019-05-05.
- Ferro, Alden (2018-03-05). "Yanyi is named the 2018 Yale Younger Poet". YaleNews. Retrieved 2019-05-05.