Yeast Culture (company)
|Film making, animation and digital media|
|Industry||Arts and Media|
|Products||Documentary, drama, video installation, animation, dance, live VJing|
Yeast Culture, sometimes spelt yeastCulture is a company engaged in film making and digital media, based in Camden, London. The company was started in 1999 by directors Nick Hillel and Marc Silver. Silver left the company in 2005 but Hillel remains as creative director and is supported by a team of film-makers, visual artists and animators. It embraces many diverse disciplines including documentary, drama, video installation, animation, dance, live VJing and touring exhibitions.
Yeast Culture shot and edited four, one-hour documentaries for Channel 4 and BBC 2; Naked Protest, Burning Man – Community or Kaos, Global Protest – The Battle of Prague and Big Chill in Cairo (1999).
Among their other clients have been work for Nitin Sawhney, Courtney Pine, Jamie Cullum, The Philharmonia Orchestra, Beastie Boys, Brian Eno, Michael Nyman, Dennis Rollins, Baaba Maal, the V & A, Serious, The British Council, Matthew Herbert, The Philharmonia Orchestra, Akram Khan and The National Film Theatre. 
- "Jammie Cullum". XL Video. 2006. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- O'Donovan, Terry (22 July 2010). "Confluence". The Stage. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
Nick Hillel's visual projections are surely the most sophisticated and sensitive on stage.
- Walters, John L (12 December 2005). "Norwegian Voices Barbican, London". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
Video artists Yeast did their best to unify all this Nordic diversity with arresting, largely monochrome visuals.
- 4docs films King of Laughter, Made by Nick Hillel, 2008. Retrieved 2010
- "Yeastculture". About. Yeast Culture. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- Johnson, Phil (15 January 2006). "Jamie Cullum, Colston Hall, Bristol". The Independent. London. Retrieved 12 November 2010.
The superb visuals designed by Yeast, which mix inventive little films and animations with live-camera coverage of Jamie's manic gurning, offer a classy context for the songs, while the black-and-white live shots supply the intimate jazz-club vibe that gets lost in a big hall.
- http://www.coolhunting.com/culture/yeastculture.php quote=They can do it off-the-cuff too, and have VJ'd for artists as varied as the Beastie Boys and Matthew Herbert, and also at the Big Chill. They'll be pulling out all the stops as part of the BBC's Electric Proms
- https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/reviews/carlos-acosta--akram-khan-and-nitin-sawhney-sadlers-wells-london-1835318.html quote= Film sequences, by Nick Hillel and Yeast Culture, flash up vague philosophical statements.
- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/sep/17/extreme-cello-matthew-barley. quote= the models on screen will play in synch with me, against live video mixing by the artist Nick Hillel. It's eerie and sometimes touching to see a virtual image doing something so human.
- http://www.journal-online.co.uk/article/7360-the-virtual-cellist. quote= visuals invite a hauntingly haptic engagement with the screen, as abstract ballet dancers move majestically across a grey-scaled live feed of Matthew’s performance as if lifted straight from a Degas sketch. Flashes of a South American shaman, engulfed in swirling smoke, inaugurate the poetics of the melting of screen-into space-into audience mediation, creating an all-engulfing entropic experience.
- http://www.theartsdesk.com/dance/akram-khan-desh-sadlers-wells-theatre quote= This production looks as if it has cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to stage, with its luxuriously liberal video animations by Yeast Culture
- https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/classical/features/electronic-nightmares-on-bluebeards-battlements-2366466.html quote= The film-maker Nick Hillel, creative director of the digital studio Yeast Culture, is giving me a sneak peek at his projected visuals for Béla Bartók's one-act opera
- http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-0623-sf-symphony-review-20120623,0,413770.story quote= A stunning simultaneous short-circuiting of the ocular and auditory nerves
- http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Nick-Hillel-directs-Bartok-s-Bluebeard-s-Castle-3650294.php quote= Nick Hillel directs Bartok's 'Bluebeard's Castle'
- http://www.theaterdogs.net/2012/06/20/sf-symphony-scales-bluebeards-castle/ quote= images that, even if they weren’t literal or specific to the story, evoked just the right emotion
- http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article.php?sec=outthere&article=376 quote= of film company Yeast Culture (Nitin Sawney , Akram Khan, Beastie Boys), who has created evocative imagery and unusual staging to help tell the story.
|This article about a British film distributor or production company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|