|Jevgen Yukhymovych Zakharov|
Jevgen Zakharov on a rally in Kharkiv.
November 12, 1952
|Other names||Jevhen Zakharov|
|Alma mater||Kharkiv National University|
|Occupation||Director of Kharkiv Human Rights Protection Group|
Yevgen Yukhymovych Zakharov (born 12 November 1952) is a Ukrainian human rights activist.
- August 1998 – first school on monitoring human rights, Helsinki Foundation (Warsaw)
- September 1996 – participant of the USIA’s International Visitors Program “Development of Democracy in Multiethnic Societies” (USA)
- September 1991 – second summer school on human rights, Helsinki Foundation (Warsaw)
- 1982-1985 – post graduate student of the Rostov institute railway engineers
- 1985 – Cand. Sci.(Technology)
- 1970-1975 – Kharkiv National University, faculty of mechanics and mathematics
- 1960-1970 – secondary school, Kharkiv
- Since February 1997 to date – executive director of the Kharkiv Human Rights Protection Group, editor-in-chief of the weekly «Prava Ludyny» (“Human Rights”) and quarterly «Freedom of Expression and Privacy».
- 1993-1997 – editor-in-chief of the journal “Human Rights in Ukraine” (edition of the Ukrain-ian-American Bureau on Human Rights Protection, since 1993 21 issues has been published)
- 1987-1993 – Head of the Bureau on automation of design of electric machines and apparatus of the “Kharkiv Electro-Mechanical Plant”
- 1975-1987 – an engineer-mathematician, Special Design Bureau of Electric Motors, Kharkiv
- Since 25 January 2012 – head of the Board of the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union
- Since 2011 – director of the Kharkiv Human Rights Protection Group
- In 2010-2011 – member of the Board of the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union
- In 2004-2008 – head of the Board of the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union
- Since 1994 – a member of the Board of International "Memorial" Society.
- 1992-2011 – co-chairperson of the Kharkiv Human Rights Protection Group
- In 1990-2008 – a deputy-chairman of the Kharkiv Town Commission of restoring rights of the unjustly repressed.
- In 1990-1994 – a deputy of the Kharkiv Town Council.
- In 1989-2002 – a member of Moscow Helsinki Group.
- In 1988-1992 – correspondent of the newspaper «Express Chronicle»
- Participation in the law-protective movement since the seventies.
17 November 2006 several Ukrainian NGOs proposed him to be elected as ombudsman. As a result of civic campaign he was officially nominated as ombudsman and voted in Ukrainian Parliament. He lost to Nina Karpachova.
28 January 2012 Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union suggested him for a position of ombudsman again.
7 February 2012 opposition in Ukrainian Parliament decided to nominate him for ombudsman.
15 march 2012 Ukrainian Parliament could not elect an ombudsman. Zakharov received 132 votes.
11 scientific articles on applied mathematics and design of electric machines (1976-1985) and more than 200 publications devoted to human rights, civil society and history of political repressions in the Soviet Union and Ukraine. Publications were printed in Ukraine, Russia, the USA, Canada, Germany, France, Lithuania, Poland, Norway, Denmark (1987-2010).
His works include
- Ukraine Genocide Analysis
- HUMAN DIMENSION OF THE UKRAINIAN FAMINE
- Respect for economic, social and cultural rights in Ukraine
- Selected decisions of the European Court of Human Rights of Ukraine - 2006
- Human rights - my personal opinion 2000
His was referenced in 2008 Human Rights Reports: Ukraine
- Laureate of Vasyl Stus Prize, January 2012
- Member of the Order of Liberty, October 2008.
- The Independent Cultural Journal “Ї” Award «For Intellectual Courage», December 2007
- Civic lobbying campaign «Zakharov for Ombudsman!» (in Ukrainian)
- Ukraine Genocide Analysis by Yevhen Zakharov
- HUMAN DIMENSION OF THE UKRAINIAN FAMINE
- Respect for economic, social and cultural rights in Ukraine (in Ukrainian)
- Selected decisions of the European Court of Human Rights of Ukraine - 2006 (in Ukrainian)
- Human rights - my personal opinion 2000 (in Ukrainian)
- 2008 Human Rights Reports: Ukraine
- Vasyl Stus Prize (in Ukrainian)
- The decree of President of Ukraine (in Ukrainian)