York High School (Maine)
|York High School|
York High School
|1 Robert Stevens Drive
|Motto||"Knowledge is Power"|
|Established||Sometime after 1776|
|Assistant Principal||Mike Bennett|
|Number of students||approx. 700|
|Color(s)||Columbia Blue and white|
|Athletics||football, basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, Ice hockey wrestling, track and field, lacrosse, tennis, golf, cheerleading, field hockey|
|Athletics conference||Western Maine, Class B|
|Athletic director||Andy Wood|
York High School is a public secondary school in York, Maine. Its current principal is Karl Francis and its vice principal is Mike Bennett.
York High School has an athletic program. The golf team, girls' basketball, indoor track and soccer teams won the state championships in 2010. The boys' ice hockey team won the Western Maine title in 2010 and the wrestling team has also had 6 state champions since 1995. Rick Clark, the girls' basketball head coach, was inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame. In 2016 the school won its third straight Maine Class B Field Hockey title, having gone undefeated for each of the three years.
The Ethel "Babe" Sewall Library was named after Ethel Sewall, the first district librarian for the York School Department. Sewell was a leader in school libraries, having pioneered the integration of media and books, to support all learning styles. The library is staffed by Michele Adams and Megan Reid. The school provides students and staff with a variety of materials and databases to support the school curriculum and personal growth.
- "Administration - York High School".
- YHS Profile - "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on May 9, 2008. Retrieved May 29, 2008.
- Home Page - "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 12, 2008. Retrieved May 29, 2008.
- "Field hockey: York wins third straight Class B state title". Portland Press Herald. 29 October 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- York High School Student Handbook, p. 14