This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2019)
|Adam Ierymenko (CEO)|
ZeroTier Inc. is a software company with a freemium business model based in Irvine, California. ZeroTier provides proprietary software, SDKs and commercial products and services to create and manage virtual software-defined networks. The company's flagship end-user product ZeroTier One is a client application that enables devices such as PCs, phones, servers and embedded devices to securely connect to peer-to-peer virtual networks.
1.8.8 / April 11, 2022
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, Linux on ARM|
|Type||SD-WAN, P2P, VPN|
|License||Business Source License (Free for personal use. Enterprise pricing available); formerly GPLv3|
In 2021, the product line consists of the following tools:
- ZeroTier One, first released in 2014, is a portable client application that provides connectivity to public or private virtual networks.
- Central, a web-based UI portal for managing virtual networks.
- libzt (SDK), a linkable library that provides the functionality of ZeroTier One but that can be embedded in applications or services.
- LF (pronounced "aleph"), a fully decentralized fully replicated key/value store.
The ZeroTier client is used to connect to virtual networks previously created in the ZeroTier Central web-based UI. Endpoint connections are peer-to-peer and end-to-end encrypted. STUN and hole punching are used to establish direct connections between peers behind NAT. Direct connection route discovery is made with the help of a global network of root servers via a mechanism similar to ICE in WebRTC.
Virtual networks are created and managed using a ZeroTier controller. Management is done using an API, proprietary web-based UI (ZeroTier Central), open-source web-based or CLI alternative. Using root servers other than those hosted by ZeroTier Inc. is impeded by the software's license.
- Asymmetric public key encryption is Curve25519, a 256-bit elliptic curve variant.
- All traffic is encrypted end to end on OSI layer 1 using 256-bit Salsa20 and authenticated using the Poly1305 message authentication (MAC) algorithm. MAC is computed after encryption (encrypt-then-MAC) and the cipher/MAC composition used is identical to the NaCl reference implementation.
ZeroTier One is available on multiple platforms and in multiple forms:
- Microsoft Windows installer (.msi)
- Apple Macintosh (.pkg)
- iOS for iPhone/iPad/iPod
- Source code on GitHub
- Linux binaries (DEB & RPM)
- Linux snap package (works across distributions)
- Linux library
- Android App on Google Play
- Qnap (.qpkg)
- Synology packages (.spk)
- Western Digital MyCloud NAS EX2, EX4, EX2 Ultra (.bin)
- FreeBSD has a port and a package
- OpenWRT has a community maintained port on GitHub
- MikroTik's RouterOS
- Source code repositories
- ZeroTier One
- ""ZeroTier" that allows you to connect Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS with VPN without difficult setting". GIGAZINE.net.
- "Peer-to-peer-based VPN alternatives". Linux-Magazine.com.
- Goethals, Tom; Kerkhove, Dwight; Volckaert, Bruno; De Turck, Filip (October 21–25, 2019). Scalability evaluation of VPN technologies for secure container networking (PDF). 15th International Conference on Network and Service Management, CNSM 2019. Halifax, Canada.
- "Release VERSION 1.8.8 · zerotier/ZeroTierOne".
- "LICENSE.txt". Retrieved 2021-01-01.
- "Release VERSION 0.9.2: · zerotier/ZeroTierOne".
- zt-panel — ZeroTier controller panel built with vue.js
- ZeroTier controller webinterface ztnui
- ZeroTier Network Controller in Python
- ZeroTier Cryptography
- ZeroTier Manual: Cryptography
- ZeroTier Docker container page
- ZeroTier One Google Play Store page