1955 NBA Playoffs
The 1955 NBA Playoffs was the postseason tournament of the National Basketball Association's 1954-55 season. The tournament concluded with the Eastern Conference champion Syracuse Nationals defeating the Western Conference champion Fort Wayne Pistons 4 games to 3 in the NBA Finals.
For the Pistons, this was their first trip to the NBA Finals in franchise history; they returned the next year, but didn't win their first title until 1989 as the Detroit Pistons.
After experimenting with a round robin playoff format in 1954, the NBA moved to a system in which the top team in each conference earned a first-round bye, giving them the right to start out in the division finals. It remained in place until 1967, when it changed to an eight-team format in which all teams played the first round.
|Division Semifinals||Division Finals||NBA Finals|
Champion: Fort Wayne Pistons
(1) Fort Wayne Pistons have division semifinals bye.
- Game 1 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 82, Rochester 78
- Game 2 @ Rochester: Rochester 94, Minneapolis 92
- Game 3 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 119, Rochester 110
Last Playoff Meeting: 1954 NBA Western Division Finals (Minneapolis won 2-1)
- Game 1 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 96, Minneapolis 79
- Game 2 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 98, Minneapolis 97 (OT)
- Game 3 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 99, Fort Wayne 91 (OT)
- Game 4 @ Minneapolis: Fort Wayne 105, Minneapolis 96
Last Playoff Meeting: 1953 NBA Western Division Finals (Minneapolis won 3-2)
Champion: Syracuse Nationals
(1) Syracuse Nationals have division semifinals bye.
- Game 1 @ Boston: Boston 122, New York 101
- Game 2 @ New York: New York 102, Boston 95
- Game 3 @ New York: Boston 116, New York 109
Last Playoff Meeting: 1953 NBA Eastern Division Finals (New York won 3-1)
- Game 1 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 110, Boston 100
- Game 2 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 116, Boston 110
- Game 3 @ Boston: Boston 100, Syracuse 97 (OT)
- Game 4 @ Boston: Syracuse 110, Boston 94
Last Playoff Meeting: 1954 NBA Eastern Division Finals (Syracuse won 2-0)
- Game 1 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 86, Fort Wayne 82
- Game 2 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 87, Fort Wayne 84
- Game 3 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 96, Syracuse 89
- Game 4 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 109, Syracuse 102
- Game 5 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 74, Syracuse 71
- Game 6 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 109, Fort Wayne 104
- Game 7 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 92, Fort Wayne 91 (George King hit a free throw with 12 seconds left, then stole the ball from Andy Phillip with 3 seconds left to seal it)
Last Playoff Meeting: This is the first meeting between the Nationals and Pistons.