1976 SCCA/USAC Formula 5000 Championship season
|1976 SCCA/USAC Formula 5000 Championship season|
The 1976 SCCA/USAC Formula 5000 Championship  was the tenth running of the Sports Car Club of America's premier open wheel racing series  and the third to be co-sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and the United States Auto Club (USAC).
The championship was won by Brian Redman driving a Lola T332 Chevrolet. It was Redman's third consecutive SCCA/USAC Formula 5000 Championship title win. For the first time in three years, a vehicle other than a Lola won a race, with March and Shadow winning one race each. 1976 also marked the first race win by a non-Chevrolet powered car since the 1971 season, with a Dodge-powered Shadow winning at Road America.
1976 was to be the final year of the SCCA/USAC Formula 5000 Championship as the SCCA replaced it with a revived Can Am Series for 1977. The rules for the new series were to allow the Formula 5000 cars to compete with fully enveloping bodywork.
The championship was contested over a seven race series.
|Race ||Date ||Location ||Distance ||Winning driver ||Winning car |
|1||May 9||Pocono International Raceway||35 laps||Brian Redman||Lola T332C – Chevrolet V8|
|2||June 20||Mosport Park||40 laps||Alan Jones||Lola T332 – Chevrolet V8|
|3||July 11||Watkins Glen International||30 laps||Alan Jones||March 76A – Chevrolet V8|
|4||July 25||Road America||25 laps||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6B – Dodge V8|
|5||August 8||Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course||42 laps||Brian Redman||Lola T332C – Chevrolet V8|
|6||August 28||Road America||20 laps||Brian Redman||Lola T332C – Chevrolet V8|
|7||October 17||Riverside International Raceway||40 laps||Al Unser||Lola T332 – Chevrolet V8|
Championship points were awarded on a 36-24-16-12-8-5-4-3-2-1 basis for the first ten positions in each race.
- Jaycee Grand Prix - SCCA/USAC Formula 500 Championship Race, www.myf5000.com Retrieved on 29 May 2014
- Wolfgang Kopfler, Formula A and Formula 5000 in America - Race by Race, 2003, pages 7 to 102
- Wolfgang Kopfler, Formula A and Formula 5000 in America - Race by Race, 2003, page 81
- Wolfgang Kopfler, 1976 Formula 5000 Championship, Formula A and Formula 5000 in America - Race by Race, 2003, pages 101 & 102
- Gordon Kirby, The Season in the USA, Automobile Year 1976/77, pages 191 to 192
- Wolfgang Kopfler, The end of Formula 5000, Formula A and Formula 5000 in America - Race by Race, 2003, page 110
- US Formula 5000 races 1968-1976, www.oldracingcars.com Retrieved on 29 May 2014
- SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round, Pocono International Raceway, 9 May 1976, www.oldracingcars.com Retrieved on 29 May 2014