1984 NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship
|1984 NCAA Division I Men's
|Finals site||Delaware Stadium
University of Delaware
The championship game was hosted by University of Delaware, and was played in front of 17,253 fans at Delaware Stadium. The game saw the Johns Hopkins University defeat Syracuse University by the score of 13–10.
The Bluejays snapped Syracuse's 22-game winning streak holding the Orange top offensive guns, Brad Kotz and Tim Nelson, in check. Tim Nelson actually was hurt at the start of the championship contest and did not play for the remainder of the game. Hopkins scored the first six goals of the contest.
Hopkins was led by Hall-of-Fame goaltender Larry Quinn, attackman Brian Wood with three goals, and senior attackman Peter Scott with two goals and three assists. Hopkins compiled a perfect 14-0 mark and won its fifth NCAA title under the direction of first-year head coach Don Zimmerman. The Blue Jays returned to the NCAA Championship game for the eighth straight season. This would turn out to be the last undefeated season for Johns Hopkins until 2005.
Peter Scott, considered one of the best lacrosse players to come out of the Pennsylvania high school system, finished his career with four straight NCAA final appearances, made three All-American teams and is currently among the top 20 John Hopkins Career Points leaders.
Tournament Outstanding Players
- Larry Quinn, Johns Hopkins (Named Tournament's Most Outstanding Player)
|Tim Nelson, Syracuse||3||5||6||11|
|Peter Scott, Johns Hopkins||3||3||7||10|
|Brian Wood, Johns Hopkins||3||5||4||9|
|Peter Short, Army||2||5||3||8|
|Del Dressel, Johns Hopkins||3||3||5||8|
|Willy Odenthal, Johns Hopkins||3||5||2||7|
|Brad Kotz, Syracuse||3||2||5||7|
|Gary Seivold, North Carolina||2||6||0||6|
|Tom Korrie, Syracuse||3||5||1||6|
- "NCAA Lacrosse Division I Results / Records" (pdf). NCAA. p. 3 (51). Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Buzdick, Arnie. Edge in basics enabled Hopkins stickmen to unseat Orange. Syracuse Herald Journal, May 28, 1984. pg. C-1
- Bonnell, Rick. Hopkins holds off Syracuse, 13-10. Syracuse Herald Journal, May 27, 1984. pg. C-1
- "Pennsylvania Lacrosse Hall of Fame Peter Scott - 1998". PAlacrosse.com.
|This lacrosse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|