1998 Currie Cup
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (July 2013)|
|1998 Currie Cup|
The 1998 Currie Cup (known as the Bankfin Currie Cup for sponsorship reasons) was the 60th season in the competition since it started in 1889.
Regular season and title play offs
There were 14 participating teams in the 1998 Currie Cup. These teams played each other once over the course of the season, either at home and away.
Teams received four points for a win and two points for a draw. Bonus points were awarded to teams that scored 4 or more tries in a game, as well as to teams that lost a match by 7 points or less. Teams were ranked by log points, then points difference (points scored less points conceded).
The top 4 teams in each section qualified for the title play-offs. In the semi-finals, the team that finished first had home advantage against the team that finished fourth, while the team that finished second had home advantage against the team that finished third. The winners of these semi-finals advanced to the final, at the home venue of the higher-placed team.
Changes from 1997
|Team||Played||Won||Drawn||Lost||Points For||Points Against||Points Difference||Tries For||Tries Against||Bonus Points||Points|
|5||Free State Cheetahs||13||8||1||4||453||314||+139||56||31||9||43|
|The top 4 teams qualified for the Title Play-Off Semi-Final games.
*4 points for a win
*2 points for a draw
*1 bonus point for a loss by seven points or less
*1 bonus point for scoring four or more tries in a match
|This section is incomplete. (August 2013)|
|This section may be weighted too heavily toward only one aspect of its subject. (August 2013)|
- Western Province 38–20 Blue Bulls ()
- Boland Cavaliers 3 - 57 Blue Bulls ()
- Sharks 24 - 19 Blue Bulls ()
- Border 21 - 59 Blue Bulls ()
- Golden Lions 12 - 20 Blue Bulls ()
- Cheetahs 19 – 33 Blue Bulls ()
- SWD Eagles 29 – 32 Blue bulls ()
- Eastern province 26 – 35 Blue Bulls ()
- Griquas 18 – 15 Blue Bulls ()
- Leopards 11—68 Blue Bulls () 1 August 1998
- Pumas 3 – 48 Blue Bulls ()
- Valke 22 – 27 Blue Bulls ()
- Griffons 5-- 28 Blue bulls ()
Title Play-Off Games