2008 Kentucky Derby
|134th Kentucky Derby
Presented by Yum! Brands
|Date||May 3, 2008|
|Winning horse||Big Brown|
|Wikinews has related news: Horse racing: Big Brown victorious in Kentucky Derby, runner-up Eight Belles breaks down|
The 2008 Kentucky Derby was the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby. The race took place on May 3, 2008 with 157,770 in attendance, the second largest in Derby history. Post time was 6:15 p.m. EDT and was televised in the United States on the NBC television network.
Big Brown won the race by nearly 5 lengths. Eight Belles, the second-place finisher and the first filly to run the Derby in nine years, was euthanized following the end of the race after fracturing both front ankles while galloping out. It is believed to be the first fatality in Kentucky Derby history.
The 134th Kentucky Derby Payout Schedule
|20||Big Brown||$ 6.80||$5.00||$4.80|
|16||Denis of Cork||-||-||$11.60|
- $2 Exacta (20-5) Paid $141.60
- $2 Trifecta (20-5-16) Paid $3,445.60
- $2 Superfecta (20-5-16-2) Paid $58,737.80
- Runner-up Eight Belles breaks front ankles, euthanized on track. Associated Press. May 3, 2008.
- "Updated Odds for Kentucky Derby (as of 01:00 UTC)". May 3, 2008. Archived from the original on 6 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-03.[dead link]
- 2008 Kentucky Derby Tables