From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||7th century BC – 6th century BC – 5th century BC|
|Decades:||630s BC 620s BC 610s BC – 600s BC – 590s BC 580s BC 570s BC|
|Years:||603 BC 602 BC 601 BC – 600 BC – 599 BC 598 BC 597 BC|
|600 BC by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||600 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||154|
|Bahá'í calendar||−2443 – −2442|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||庚申年 (Metal Monkey)
2097 or 2037
— to —
辛酉年 (Metal Rooster)
2098 or 2038
|Coptic calendar||−883 – −882|
|Ethiopian calendar||−607 – −606|
|- Vikram Samvat||−543 – −542|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2502–2503|
|Igbo calendar||−1599 – −1598|
|Iranian calendar||1221 BP – 1220 BP|
|Islamic calendar||1259 BH – 1257 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2511 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||−56|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 600 BC.|
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon are built by Nebuchadnezzar.
- Zoroaster's religion becomes popular in Persia. (approximate date)
- Smyrna is sacked and destroyed by Alyattes II.
- The country of Armenia is created.
- The first dwelling at Emain Macha (now Navan Fort) is built (approximate date).
- Milan is founded by Celts.
- Capua is founded.
- Pompeii is founded. (approximate date)
- The Etruscans seize possession of Rome, making it into a prosperous trade center. (approximate date)
- Victorious over the Carthaginians in a naval battle, the Greeks of Phocaea establish the city Marseille in today's France.
- Athens is suffering severe economic problems. (approximate date)
- The calendrical system begins appearing in areas with strong Olmec influence, continuing to appear until 500 BC. (approximate date)
- Construction on the largest Indian mound at Cahokia, near modern-day St. Louis, Missouri, is begun, continuing until 200 AD. (approximate date)
Art and architecture
- Archaic period of sculpture begins in Greece. (approximate date)
- Kouros (representation of a male youth) begins to be made, being finished in 580 BC. (approximate date)
- Pitcher (container) (olpe), from Corinth, is made. It is now at The British Museum, London. (approximate date)
- The Temple of Artemis, Korkyra in Corfu begins to be built. (approximate date)
- The Doric and Ionic orders are well developed. (approximate date)
- Cambyses I, father of Cyrus the Great and future king of Anshan (approximate date)
- King Gong of Chu, king of Chu
- Battus I of Cyrene, founder and first king of the Greek colony of Cyrenaica
- Duke Cheng of Jin, ruler of the State of Jin
- Cyrus I, king of Anshan, according to some sources