September 29, 1985 |
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|Weight||154 lb (70 kg)|
|Draft||38th overall, 2008
|Sacramento Monarchs (2008)
Seattle Storm (2009)
A'Quonesia Krashun Franklin (born September 29, 1985 in Tyler, Texas), also known as Aqua, is an assistant coach for the Kansas Jayhawks women's basketball team. She played two seasons in the WNBA. She was a three-year captain of the Texas A&M team from the 2005–06 to 2007–08 seasons. She received All-America honorable mention honors from the Associated Press two times, and has also received all-Big 12 honors.
Franklin attended John Tyler High School in Tyler, Texas, where she earned first team all-state, first team All-East Texas, and first team all-regional honors as a senior. She earned district MVP honors both her junior and senior year. She was also named the East Texas MVP her senior years. As a senior, her team won the district championship and reached the regional semifinals. She averaged 12 points and three assists as a junior, and averaged 14.5 points and six assists as a senior. She played in the Texas Girls Coaches Association Texas-Oklahoma All-Star game. During the summer after her senior year, she won an AAU championship with the Houston Elite team.
In her junior season, she helped the Aggies win the Big 12 Conference regular season title, becoming a part of the first Texas A&M team to do so. She was named to the All-Big 12 First Team after the regular season. She was also named Big 12 Player of the Week for two weeks. Her team received a No. 4 bid to play in the 2007 NCAA Basketball Tournament. The team defeated Texas-Arlington in the first round but lost to George Washington in the second round. She received All-America honorable mention honors by the Associated Press after the tournament.
In her senior season, she made the All-Big 12 Second Team. The Aggies won the Big 12 Tournament, and received an automatic bid to play in the 2008 NCAA Basketball Tournament. She and her team were able to defeat 15th-seeded UTSA in the first round, Hartford in the second, and Duke in the Sweet Sixteen matchup. They advanced to the Elite Eight to play 7-time national champion Tennessee, and lost 53–45. After the tournament, Franklin received honorable mention All-America honors by the Associated Press.
Franklin was selected by the Sacramento Monarchs at No. 38 in the 2008 WNBA Draft. In her rookie season, Franklin played in 34 games and averaged 1.6 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game. Her team fell to San Antonio in the first round of the 2008 WNBA Playoffs. On March 20, 2009 the Phoenix Mercury traded Barbara Farris to the Sacramento Monarchs for Franklin and Kim Smith. On May 7, 2009 the Seattle Storm signed Franklin to a training camp contract. On June 4, 2009 the Storm waived Franklin due to 11-woman roster cuts.
Franklin returned to Texas A&M to pursue her graduate education. She also served as a color analyst for the women's basketball team. She served as a graduate assistant for Aggies head coach Gary Blair.
She became an assistant coach for the Kansas Jayhawks women's basketball team in May 2011.
- A&M's Franklin, Atunrase shake off adversity | Women's College Basketball | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
- "A'Quonesia Franklin". Texas A&M Athletics. Archived from the original on February 28, 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- Big 12 Women's Basketball Players of the Week - Feb. 21 :: <blank>[dead link]
- Big 12 Women's Basketball Players of the Week - Feb. 28 :: <blank>[dead link]
- Big 12 Women's Basketball Players of the Week - March 4 :: <blank>[dead link]
- 2005-06 PHILLIPS 66 All-Big 12 Conference Women's Basketball Awards Announced :: <blank>[dead link]
- 2006-07 Phillips 66 All-Big 12 Conference Women's Basketball Awards Announced :: <blank>[dead link]
- Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Players of the Week Named for Feb. 12 :: <blank>[dead link]
- Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Players of the Week (March 2) :: <blank>[dead link]
- College Sports News | Sports News | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas
- Women's Basketball - Stanford University Official Athletic Site
- 2007-08 Phillips 66 All-Big 12 Conference Women's Basketball Awards Announced :: Patterson and Paris named Big 12 Coach and Big 12 Player of the Year, respectively[dead link]
- Tennessee joins Final Four by defeating A&M women | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
- [dead link]
- http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2008/04/03/04032008wacladybears.html[dead link]
- "Atunrase And Franklin Turn In Solid WNBA Rookie Campaigns".
- Mercury Acquires Franklin and Smith
- WNBA Transactions
- "Monarchs in the Off-season".
- "No. 10 Aggies To Face Southern Illinois In Colliers International Classic Opening Round".
- Franklin Named Kansas Women's Basketball Assistant Coach - KANSAS OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE