|A. B. Purani|
|Born||Ambalal Balkrishna Purani
present-day Gujarat, India
|Died||1965 (aged 70–71)|
Ambalal Balkrishna Purani (1894–1965) was a prominent disciple and biographer of Sri Aurobindo.
Life and work
Purani was born in the state of Gujarat in India. A nationalist activist as a young man, in 1923 he joined Sri Aurobindo Ashram on being convinced by Sri Aurobindo that he need not worry about the freedom of India as it was sure to come in time. He was a personal attendant to Sri Aurobindo from 1938 to 1950.
His work, most notably The Life of Sri Aurobindo  and Evening Talks with Sri Aurobindo, constitutes one of the main sources on the life and sayings of this guru. He travelled extensively to give lectures on the yogic teaching of Sri Aurobindo, visiting the United States in 1962. Some of the lectures are available in book form which include major works like Savitri and the Life Divine.
His Evening Talks throws a major light on the personality of the great master Sri Aurobindo and his multifaceted knowledge.
Lectures on Savitri gives a brief idea about the great epic Savitri.
- The Life of Sri Aurobindo. Pondicherry: Sri Aurobindo Ashram, 1958.
- Evening Talks with Sri Aurobindo. Pondicherry: Sri Aurobindo Ashram, 1959.
- Lectures on Savitri: lectures delivered in the United States. Pondicherry: Sri Aurobindo Ashram, 1967.
- Author bio at Vedic books
- A. B. Purani (1 June 1987). The Life of Sri Aurobindo. Sri Aurobindo Ashram Publication Department. p. 17. ISBN 978-81-7058-080-5. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- Aurobindo; A. B. Purani (1 January 1982). Evening Talks with Sri Aurobindo. Lotus Press (WI). p. 23. ISBN 978-81-7060-093-0. Retrieved 4 March 2012.