The ARIA charts are the main Australian music sales charts, issued weekly by the Australian Recording Industry Association. The charts are a record of the highest selling singles and albums in various genres in Australia. ARIA became the official Australian music chart in June 1988, succeeding the Kent Music Report which had been Australia's national charts since 1974.
The Go-Set charts were Australia's first national singles and albums charts published from 2 February 1966 until 24 August 1974. Succeeding Go-Set, the Kent Music Report began issuing the national top 100 charts in Australia from May 1974. The compiler, David Kent, also published Australia's national charts from 1940–1974 in a retrospective fashion using state based data. In April 1983, the Australian Recording Industry Association commenced by licencing the Kent Music Report and began compiling its own charts in-house from the week ending 26 June 1988 until the present point in time.
The ARIA charts are based on data collected from physical and digital retailers in Australia. Data of physical sales come from retailers such as Sanity and JB Hi-Fi, while data of digital sales come from online retailers such as iTunes, Bandit FM, GetMusic and BigPond Music.
Starting from 8 October 2006, due to low physical single sales at the time, the ARIA singles chart included online data as well as physical sales. In 2006, it was announced that the Brazin retailing group, comprising major retailers HMV, Sanity and Virgin music/DVD stores would no longer contribute sales data to the ARIA charts. However, after a five-month absence, Brazin reportedly re-commenced contributing sales figures to the ARIA Charts on 26 November 2006.
On 1 June 2013, radio program Take 40 Australia began broadcasting the ARIA top 40 singles on Saturday afternoons from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm AEST on the Today Network, before it is released on the ARIA charts website. All charts are then released on the website at 7:00 pm AEST, with each chart dated according to the Monday of the given week. The charts were previously released at 6:00 pm each Sunday. The website lists shortened versions of the albums and singles charts (top 50 instead of top 100), digital tracks chart (top 40 instead of top 50) and the dance singles chart (top 20 instead of top 25). The ARIA Report lists all charts in full and is available via paid e-mail subscription each week. These reports are uploaded to the Pandora Archive periodically.
- ARIA Top 100 Singles Chart
- ARIA Top 100 Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 100 Physical Albums Chart (only published in The ARIA Report)
- ARIA Top 50 Digital Tracks Chart
- ARIA Top 50 Digital Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 50 Streaming Tracks Chart
- ARIA Top 50 Club Tracks Chart
- ARIA Top 50 Catalogue Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 40 Urban Singles Chart
- ARIA Top 40 Urban Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 40 Country Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 40 Music DVDs Chart
- ARIA Top 25 Dance Singles Chart
- ARIA Top 25 Dance Albums Chart (only published in The ARIA Report)
- ARIA Top 20 Australian Artist Singles Chart
- ARIA Top 20 Australian Artist Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 20 Compilation Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 20 Jazz & Blues Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 20 Classical/Crossover Albums Chart
- ARIA Top 10 Core Classical Albums Chart
- Yearly Top 100 End of Year charts profiling the year in music
- End of Decade Top 100 charts profiling the decade in music
A music single or album qualifies for a platinum certification if it exceeds 70,000 copies shipped to retailers and a gold certification for 35,000 copies shipped.
For music DVDs (formerly videos), a gold accreditation originally represented 7,500 copies shipped, with a platinum accreditation representing 15,000 units shipped.
|Album||[nb 1]35,000||[nb 1]70,000|
|Single||[nb 2]35,000||[nb 2]70,000|
- Australian albums figures can include digital album sales.
- Australian singles figures can include sales from legal digital downloads.
2000 to present:
2000 to present:
- Music of Australia
- List of Top 50 Australian chart achievements and trivia
- List of number one tracks on the Australian Club Chart
- "ARIA Chart Stores". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Undercover - Your Daily Music Fix
- "Dining out: Lady Gaga turns heads".
- Brazin Data Returns To Aus Charts
- "ARIA Charts To Be Released Saturday 7pm". ARIA Charts. 29 May 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Aria End of Decade Chart Retrieved 28 Mar 2010
- "ARIA Charts - Gold and Platinum ARIA Accreditation Awards". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "International Certification Award levels" (PDF). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. March 2010. p. 7. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- ARIA Charts home page
- ARIA Charts with archives from June 1988
- Charts archive (Kent - Go Set - Aria), from 1940 to 2010 on worldcharts.co.uk