June 16, 1987
New York City, New York, U.S.
Abigail "Abby" Elliott (born June 16, 1987) is an American actress and comedian best known for her four seasons as a cast member on Saturday Night Live from 2008–2012. She is the daughter of comedian Chris Elliott.
Abby Elliott was born in New York City and raised in Wilton, Connecticut, the daughter of Paula Niedert, a talent coordinator, and actor/comedian Chris Elliott. She is the granddaughter of radio comedian Bob Elliott. As a child, she enjoyed acting in school plays at Our Lady of Fatima School in Wilton, and decided that she wanted to pursue acting as a career from an early age. She attended high school at Immaculate High School in Danbury, Connecticut, where she acted in school plays and musicals. After graduating from Immaculate High School in 2005, she attended Marymount Manhattan College in New York City but dropped out during the first semester.
In 2006, Elliott appeared with small roles in the comedy pilots "You've Reached The Elliotts" and "Chrissy: Plain & Simple", both pilots starring her father, Chris Elliott. While at UCBT, she frequently performed with The Midnight Show sketch troupe. She has also occasionally performed comedy with her younger sister Bridey. Before joining the cast of SNL, Elliott had also done guest voices roles on King of The Hill and Minoriteam. She has also been featured in a number of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon sketches such as Jersey Floor and 6-Bee. Elliott made her film debut with a small role in No Strings Attached and has since appeared with supporting roles in the films High Road and Fun Size.
Saturday Night Live
Elliott joined the cast of SNL midway through the 2008–2009 season (season 34), in November 2008, following the departure of Amy Poehler. She is the third generation of her family to have been featured on SNL (the second to be hired as a cast member, and her tenure on the show was longer than both her father and grandfather). Her father is actor and comedian Chris Elliott, who was an SNL cast member during the 1994–1995 season (season 20) and her grandfather is Bob Elliott of the popular comedy duo Bob & Ray. Bob Elliott co-starred on a Christmas episode in the 1978–1979 season (fourth season).
Celebrity impressions on SNL
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
Elliott's many celebrity impressions during her tenure on SNL included Christina Aguilera, Anne Hathaway, Katy Perry, Angelina Jolie, Joan Cusack, Anna Faris, Khloé Kardashian, Laura Linney (as Cathy Jamison in The Big C), Rachel Maddow, Sarah McLachlan, Marilyn Monroe, Brittany Murphy (whose sole appearance as her was removed from all reruns following the real Brittany Murphy's death), Ke$ha, Rosie Pope, Leah Remini, Chloë Sevigny, Meryl Streep, Jamie Lynn Spears, Zooey Deschanel, Jewel, Lea Michele (as Rachel Berry from Glee), Heather Menzies (as Louisa von Trapp in the film The Sound of Music), Belle (from Beauty and the Beast)[episode needed], Emma Watson (as Harry Potter character Hermione Granger), Jennifer Lawrence (as Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games)
Recurring characters on SNL
- Shirley, one of the singing sisters on The Lawrence Welk Show
- One of the French Girls in "Les Jeunes de Paris"
- Fur Coat Rhonda, one of the comedians in "The Original Kings of Catchphrase Comedy"
- Paula, one of Gilly's classmates that always tattles on her.
|2006||You've Reached the Elliotts||Kristin||TV movie|
|2011||No Strings Attached||Joy|
|My Animie Girlfriend||Yuruki||Short|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|2008-12||Saturday Night Live||Various||81 episodes|
|2008||King of the Hill||Various||4 episodes:
"The Accidental Terrorist" (season 12: episode 13)
"Lady and Gentrification" (season 12: episode 14)
"Six Characters in Search of a House" (season 12: episode 17)
"Square-Footed Monster" (season 13: episode 3)
|2009||Saturday Night Live: Weekend Update Thursday||Kristen Cavallari||1 episode|
|2011, 2013||CollegeHumor Originals||Channon/Cinderella||2 episodes|
|2012||Ugly Americans||Emily||1 episode|
|2 Broke Girls||Ruth||1 episode|
|2013-14||How I Met Your Mother||Jeanette Peterson||Recurring role, 4 episodes:
"P.S. I Love You" (season 8: episode 15)
"Bad Crazy" (season 8: episode 16)
"Weekend at Barney's" (season 8: episode 18)
"Sunrise" (season 9: episode 17)
|2013||Happy Endings||Katie||1 episode|
|Inside Amy Schumer||Bree||1 episode|
- "Chris Elliott Biography (1960–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- Zuckerman, Ed (November 11, 2009). "A Professionally Funny Family". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Biography". abbyelliott.net. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Exclusive: Abby Elliott on Her New Movie, A Role on 'How I Met Your Mother,' and Leaving 'SNL'". Elle. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- "Not so Fun Size comedy". The Irish News. November 2, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 12, 2008). "'SNL' taps Abby Elliott, Michaela Watkins". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Rechtschaffen, Michael (June 19, 2011). "Entertainment Celebrities – Guess the celebrity's daddy". WinnipegSun.com (Canoe.com). QMI.
- Saturday Night Live, April 9, 2012. "Sofia Vergara, One Direction."[dubious ]
- Oh, Eunice; Triggs, Charlotte. (August 19, 2010). "Fred Armisen and Abby Elliott's Relationship in 'Early Stages'". People.
- Ravitz, Justin (September 27, 2011). "SNL's Fred Armisen, Abby Elliott Split". US Weekly.