Alfred Henry Lloyd
|Alfred Henry Lloyd|
|President of the
University of Michigan
|Preceded by||Marion LeRoy Burton|
|Succeeded by||Clarence Cook Little|
January 6, 1864|
Montclair, New Jersey
|Died||May 11, 1927(aged 63)|
Alfred Henry Lloyd (January 3, 1864 – May 11, 1927) was an American philosopher.
Lloyd received both his B.A. and M.A. degrees from Harvard. He studied philosophy at Göttingen University in Berlin and Heidelberg University, before returning to Harvard for his Ph.D., which he received in 1893. Upon returning from Europe in 1891, Lloyd was recruited by John Dewey as an instructor in philosophy at the University of Michigan. He remained there his entire career, becoming full professor in 1906. He was named dean of the Graduate School in 1915.
Lloyd was interim president of the University of Michigan from February 26 through September 1925, following the death of Marion LeRoy Burton. He was succeeded by Clarence Cook Little. Lloyd's daughter, Alice Crocker Lloyd, served as the Dean of Women.
Lloyd was the author of five books — Citizenship and Salvation (1897), Dynamic Idealism (1898), Philosophy of History (1899), The Will to Doubt (1907), and Leadership and Progress (1922) — and over seventy articles.
- Arthur Lyon Cross, DeWitt H. Parker and R. M. Wenley, "Alfred Henry Lloyd (1864–1927)" The Journal of Philosophy Vol. 25, No. 5 (Mar. 1, 1928), pp. 124–130
- Evelyn Shirk, "Alfred Henry Lloyd: Beyond Labels", ''Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society Vol. 15, No. 4 (Fall 1979), p. 269
- Alfred Henry Lloyd: Biography, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
- Notes in The Philosophical Review Vol. 36, No. 6 (Nov., 1927), p. 603
- Presidents of the University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
- The Will to Doubt, archive.org
- Evelyn Urban Shirk, "The Educational Philosophy of Alfred Lloyd", Educational Theory Vol. 2, Issue 3 (July 1952), pp. 141-142
- Evelyn Urban Shirk, Adventurous Idealism: The Philosophy of Alfred Lloyd, University of Michigan Press, 1952.
- Works by Alfred Henry Lloyd at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Alfred Henry Lloyd at Internet Archive
Marion LeRoy Burton
|President of the University of Michigan
Clarence Cook Little
|This biography of an American academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Michigan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|