|EP by Big Bang|
|Released||February 29, 2012|
|Recorded||2011 - 2012|
|Genre||K-pop, dance-pop, electropop, hip hop|
|Big Bang chronology|
|Singles from Alive|
|Singles from Still Alive|
Alive is the fifth extended play by South Korean group Big Bang. It was released on February 29, 2012 by the group's record label, YG Entertainment. G-Dragon, the leader of Big Bang, was credited with writing the lyrics and composing all songs. Furthermore, T.O.P penned additional rap for all songs, excluding the intro and Daesung's solo, Wings.
The first single, Blue was released a week prior to the release of the full EP, on February 21, 2012. It garnered an extremely positive response, acquiring a "perfect all-kill" among domestic music charts such as MelOn, Naver and Nate in less than an hour of its release. Blue also charted internationally, topping the US Billboard K-Pop Hot 100 charts during the week.
The songs, Blue and Fantastic Baby, became chart toppers both in South Korea and internationally, including Gaon and Billboard's K-Pop Hot 100 charts. All tracks, including the intro, Alive, charted on online charts such as MelOn, Bugs, Mnet and more, whilst lead single, Blue, retained its number one position on many charts. Internationally, Alive took five positions of the top ten in the Billboard K-Pop Hot 100 charts. Furthermore, it was also the first Korean album to be charted on the Billboard 200 and held the record for being the best selling K-Pop album on the charts, selling 4,100+ copies in its first week (although the record has since been beaten by 2NE1's album Crush, which sold 5,000+ copies in its first week).
As of March 2013, the standard and special edition versions of Alive have sold a combined total of 425,000 copies in South Korea alone.
Starting from January 20, 2012, YG Entertainment began releasing information regarding Big Bang's comeback and new mini-album through various teasers posted on YG-Life's official blog. On January 24, a teaser hinting the significance of the word 'Alive' was released, though it was not known at the time whether it would be the title of the lead track or album. From the 27th to the 1st of February, titles of tracks from the album were released in sets, where it was also confirmed that the EP would be titled Alive. On February 1, 2012, YG-Life revealed the album's full tracklist and release date, which was scheduled to be February 29, 2012.
The EP was released in six different versions and includes seven tracks, including a solo song performed by Daesung, titled Wings. A different version was released for each member and one for the group.
Promotion and release
On February 5, the first teaser featuring T.O.P was unveiled for the track Fantastic Baby. He was dressed in steampunk styled, spiked leather clothes, while using an oxygen mask to cover part of his face. On February 13, the second teaser photo for another track, Wings, was released, featuring Daesung. Daesung revealed his newly dyed blonde hair, sported a printed suit with an oxygen mask covering part of his face. On the following day, the third teaser photo was revealed for Love Dust, featuring Taeyang. Taeyang showed off a tattoo on his chest, while his face was covered by an oxygen mask. On the 15th, another teaser photo was released for Bad Boy, featuring Seungri, however the oxygen mask was not included in this photo. In contrast, a gurney could be seen in the background where Seungri was exposing his abs. Finally, on the 16th G-Dragon's photo was released promoting Blue. He posed with ice on his hair and face.
Blue was released on February 22, 2012 as the album's first lead single. In less than an hour of its release, it achieved an "perfect all-kill" on all music charts, coming in #1 on charts like MelOn, Naver and Nate. On YouTube, its music video achieved over 2 million views within 24 hours. Promotions for the album began on March 11, 2012, on SBS's Inkigayo.
Big Bang released previews of their upcoming title tracks on YouTube every day at 12:00AM KST from the 23rd to the 28th.
Big Bang announced their first world tour, Big Bang Alive World Tour, organized by Live Nation, to be held in 25 cities in 16 countries. It kicked off on March 2 in Seoul's Olympic Park Gymnastic Stadium.
On March 6, 2012, Bigbang released two Japanese promotional videos for their singles Blue and Bad Boy together with the Japanese version of their fifth mini-album. The release of the Japanese version marks the second studio album of the group to be released in Japan.
On March 9, 2012, it was revealed that Big Bang obtained 5 spots out of top 10 spots in Billboard K-Pop's Hot 100 with Blue, Bad Boy, Fantastic Baby, Ain't No Fun, and Love Dust. They also charted no. 4 on the Heatseekers Albums chart, no. 22 on Independent Albums chart, and no. 4 on the World Albums chart.
The music on this album as mostly composed of those part of the YG family and company. Teddy Park and G-Dragon produced the majority of the music for this album with the help of other producers such as Dj Murf and Peejay. G-Dragon wrote the majority of the songs on this album with the help of T.O.P, and Teddy Park. The types of songs on this album have a wide range consisting of everything from catchy electronic ballad (Blue) and strong hip house sound (Fantastic Baby) to the much more urban-hip hop (Bad Boy).
|1.||"Intro (Alive)" (Intro)||G-Dragon, Teddy, T.O.P||Dee.P, G-Dragon, Teddy||Dee.P||0:48|
|2.||"Blue"||G-Dragon, Teddy, T.O.P||Teddy, G-Dragon||Teddy||3:53|
|3.||"Love Dust" (사랑먼지; Sarangmeonji)||G-Dragon, Teddy, T.O.P||G-Dragon, Teddy||Teddy||3:52|
|4.||"Bad Boy"||G-Dragon, T.O.P||G-Dragon, Choice 37||Choice 37||3:57|
|5.||"Ain't No Fun" (재미없어; Jaemieobseo)||G-Dragon, T.O.P||G-Dragon, DJ Murf, Peejay||DJ Murf, Peejay||3:42|
|6.||"Fantastic Baby"||G-Dragon, T.O.P||Teddy, G-Dragon||Teddy||3:51|
|7.||"Wings" (날개; Nalgae) (Daesung solo)||G-Dragon, Daesung||G-Dragon, Choi Pil Kang||Choi Pil Kang||3:43|
|iTunes Store bonus track|
|8.||"Blue" (Instrumental)||Teddy, G-Dragon||Teddy||3:52|
|9.||"Bad Boy" (Instrumental)||G-Dragon, Choice 37||Choice 37||3:57|
|10.||"Fantastic Baby" (Instrumental)||Teddy, G-Dragon||Teddy||3:48|
- An "Alive Digital Booklet" was included with the album when bought in a single transaction on iTunes.
|Still Alive – Special Edition tracklist|
|1.||"Still Alive"||G-Dragon, Teddy, T.O.P||Dee.P, G-Dragon, Teddy||Dee.P||3:18|
|2.||"Monster"||G-Dragon, T.O.P||G-Dragon, Choi Pil Kang||Choi Pil Kang, Dee.P||3:51|
|3.||"Feeling" (Korean version)||G-Dragon, T.O.P||Boys Noize, G-Dragon, T.O.P||Boys Noize||3:35|
|4.||"Fantastic Baby"||G-Dragon, T.O.P||Teddy, G-Dragon||Teddy||3:52|
|5.||"Bad Boy"||G-Dragon, T.O.P||G-Dragon, Choice 37||Choice 37||3:58|
|6.||"Blue"||G-Dragon, Teddy, T.O.P||Teddy, G-Dragon||Teddy||3:55|
|7.||"Round and Round" (빙글빙글; Binggeul Binggeul)||G-Dragon, T.O.P||Teddy, G-Dragon, Seo Won Jin||Teddy, Seo Won Jin||3:00|
|8.||"Ego" (Korean version)||G-Dragon, T.O.P||G-Dragon, Ham Seung Cheon, Kang Wook Jin||Ham Seung Cheon, Kang Wook Jin||3:25|
|9.||"Love Dust" (사랑먼지; Sarangmeonji)||G-Dragon, Teddy, T.O.P||G-Dragon, Teddy||Teddy||3:51|
|Still Alive iTunes Store bonus track|
|10.||"Monster" (Instrumental)||G-Dragon, Choi Pil Kang||Choi Pil Kang, Dee.P||3:50|
|11.||"Monster" (Acapella)||G-Dragon, T.O.P||G-Dragon, Choi Pil Kang||Choi Pil Kang, Dee.P||3:50|
- Track 11 is only included when the full album is purchased in a single transaction on iTunes. A "Still Alive Digital Booklet" is also included in the purchase.
Still Alive - Special Edition
Still Alive - Special Edition
Other songs charted
Still Alive - Special Edition
|South Korea||February 29, 2012||YG Entertainment||Digital download, CD|
|Taiwan||March 27, 2012||Warner Music Taiwan||CD|
|South Korea||June 3, 2012 (Still Alive)||YG Entertainment||Digital download|
|South Korea||June 6, 2012 (Still Alive)||CD|
|Taiwan||June 29, 2012 (Still Alive)||Warner Music Taiwan|
- Big Bang reveals new track from upcoming album and release date!
- "Big Bang achieving all-kill". allkpop. 2012-02-22.
- "K-Pop Hot 100: BIGBANG Is Unstoppable". Billboard. 2012-03-13.
- "Big Bang dominating with ‘ALIVE’ on various online music charts". allkpop. 2012-05-23.
- "Big Bang’s ‘Alive’ charts on the Billboard 200". allkpop. 2012-05-23.
- . Billboard. 2014-03-05 http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/5923212/2ne1-sets-new-us-record-for-highest-charting-best-selling-k-pop. Missing or empty
- YG-Life gives reminder of Big Bang’s looming comeback
- "Big Bang reveals new image teaser: "ALIVE"". allkpop. 06/05/2012. Check date values in:
- "Big Bang to promote double title tracks + six versions of ‘Alive’". allkpop. 06/05/2012. Check date values in:
- ː Yg Life Blog
- Big Bang unveils first concept image for upcoming album!
- Big Bang unveils Daesung’s concept image for upcoming ‘Alive’ album!
- Big Bang reveals Taeyang’s image teaser
- Big Bang reveals Seungri’s image teaser
- Big Bang unveils G-Dragon’s image teaser + interview clip
- "iTunes - Music - Blue - Single by BIGBANG". iTunes. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "Big Bang To Perform On Inkigayo On March 11". hellokpop. 2012-02-27.
- "BIGBANG Unleashes Fifth Teaser for Alive with Electro Title Track "Fantastic Baby"". Soompi. 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Big Bang to hold ‘ALIVE TOUR 2012′ around the world through Live Nation!". allkpop. 2012-02-06.
- "Big Bang officially kicks off their ’2012 BIG SHOW / BIG BANG ALIVE TOUR’". allkpop. 2012-02-03.
- "Big Bang reveals two PVs". allkpop. 03/08/2012. Check date values in:
- "Bigbang takes over Billboard Charts". allkpop. 03/09/2012. Check date values in:
- "Big Bang Alive". meamusica. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- "BIGBANG – New Album Release". YG LIFE BLOG. 2012-05-25.
- "Big Bang & 2NE1 rank within the top 5 on the Oricon Weekly Chart". Oricon. April 5, 2012.
- "2012年03月05日～2012年03月11日のCDアルバム週間ランキング (Oricon's Weekly chart for March 19th)" (in Japanese). Oricon. March 13, 2012.
- "Gaon Search - BIG BANG" (in Korean). Gaon. February 29, 2012.
- "Combo Chart, Week 12". G-Music. June 1, 2012.
- "J-Pop Chart, Week 13". G-Music. June 1, 2012.
- "International Chart, Week 12". G-Music. June 1, 2012.
- "Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts / Billboard.com". Billboard. March 8, 2012.
- "Heatseekers Albums / Billboard.com". Billboard. March 8, 2012.
- "Independent Albums / Billboard.com". Billboard. March 8, 2012.
- "World Albums / Billboard.com". Billboard. March 8, 2012.
- "Combo Chart, Week 26". G-Music. July 24, 2012.
- "J-Pop Chart, Week 26". G-Music. July 24, 2012.
- "International Chart, Week 26". G-Music. July 24, 2012.
- "Gaon physical sales". Gaon Chart. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "Gaon physical sales". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Korea K-Pop Hot 100 Music Chart". Billboard. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2011-09-15.