Along Comes Mary
|"Along Comes Mary"|
|Single by The Association|
|from the album And Then... Along Comes the Association|
|B-side||"Your Own Love" (Alexander/Yester)|
|Label||Valiant Records 741|
|The Association singles chronology|
|"Along Comes Mary"|
|Single by The Bloodhound Gang|
|from the album Hooray for Boobies|
|Genre||Alternative hip hop|
|Label||Jimmy Franks Recording Company
|Writer(s)||Tandyn Almer (lyrics), Jimmy Pop (music)|
|The Bloodhound Gang singles chronology|
"Along Comes Mary" is a song composed by Tandyn Almer, originally recorded in 1966 by the Association, and released on their debut album And Then... Along Comes the Association. It was their first hit and reached number seven on the U.S. charts. "Mary" in the song's title subtly refers to marijuana.
It has been covered by several artists, most notably the Bloodhound Gang.
- The Baja Marimba Band's jazzy remake hit the top 100 1967.
- Cal Tjader 1967.
- George Benson 1968.
- R. Stevie Moore 1986.
- The Manhattan Transfer covered the song on their 1995 album Tonin.
- 24-7 Spyz 1996.
- The Bloodhound Gang covered only the lyrics in 1997, and claimed that the song was about marijuana and wrote new music (in punk style) to accompany the theme for the Half Baked soundtrack, although it later appeared on their album Hooray for Boobies. This song was released as a single in Germany, reaching number six there in 1999.
- German Blue Flames 2001.
- The Guess Who 2005.
- Plainsong 2005.
- The Folkswingers 2007.
Uses in popular culture
- Curt Boettcher discography
- "Show 37 - The Rubberization of Soul: The great pop music renaissance. [Part 3] : UNT Digital Library" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu. 1969. Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- "'Along Comes Mary' Songwriter Was A Lost Talent Of The 1960s". All Things Considered. NPR. February 19, 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Best of the Baja Marimbaband - allmusic
- Along Comes Cal - allmusic
- Giblet Gravy - allmusic
- Glad Music - allmusic
- Tonin - allmusic
- 6 - allmusic
- Half Baked - allmusic
- Smash...! Boom...! Bang...!: The 60s Anthology - allmusic
- Let's Go - allmusic
- Plain Song - allmusic
- Raga rock - allmusic