Fletcher at the June 2009 premiere for The Proposal
May 1, 1966 |
|Other names||Anne Marie Fletcher
Anne "Mama" Fletcher
Life and career
Born Anne Marie Fletcher in Detroit, Michigan, Fletcher lived with her family in the local lakefront suburb of St. Clair Shores, Michigan until her 1984 graduation with honors from Lake Shore High School. Fletcher began taking dance lessons at a local dance studio at age 12 after watching her mother take a dance class. At age 15, she appeared in the local show Salute to the Superstars at the now-defunct Mr. F’s Beef & Bourbon dinner club in Sterling Heights, Michigan. Upon graduation, Fletcher moved to Los Angeles, California, where she attained further training and initially worked as a professional dancer. In 1990, Fletcher met Adam Shankman when they were hired to perform as dancers at the upcoming Academy Awards. Shortly thereafter, Shankman hired Fletcher to become his assistant choreographer; beginning a longtime personal friendship and professional affiliation.
Fletcher worked closely with Shankman both during his career as a choreographer and later as a film director and has credited her collaborations with Shankman for allowing her to both develop her own set of choreographic and film directorial skills and to achieve a similarly successful career path.
In her first film roles, Fletcher appeared as a dancer, including The Flintstones (1994), The Mask (1994), Tank Girl (1995), Casper (1995) and Titanic (1997). Fletcher later developed choreography for the Oscar-nominated drama film Boogie Nights (1997) starring Mark Wahlberg, Burt Reynolds, Julianne Moore and Heather Graham, in which she also appeared as a dancer, as well as for the comedy film A Life Less Ordinary (1997) with Ewan McGregor and Cameron Diaz. After acquiring numerous professional choreographic credits, often in collaboration with Adam Shankman, Fletcher, with encouragement from Shankman, began to consider a directorial career.
Working alongside Shankman, who had now moved from choreography to film direction, on films such as Hairspray (2007 film) and The Wedding Planner, Fletcher acquired the skills, confidence and professional credits to earn a director credit on the 2006 romantic dance film, Step Up (film) starring Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum. Panned by critics, the film was well received by film audiences and earned Fletcher a second successful director credit on the popular 2008 romantic comedy film, 27 Dresses, starring Katherine Heigl and James Marsden. Based upon the success of these two initial efforts, Fletcher has since gone onto a successful film directorial career.
- Step Up (2006)
- 27 Dresses (2008)
- The Proposal (2009)
- The Guilt Trip (2012)
- Hot Pursuit (2015)
- Enchanted 2 (TBA)
- The Flintstones (1994)
- The Mask (1994)
- Tank Girl (1995)
- Casper (1995)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997) TV series
- George of the Jungle (1997)
- Boogie Nights (1997)
- A Life Less Ordinary (1997)
- Anastasia (1997)
- Titanic (1997)
- Almost Heroes (1998)
- Blast from the Past (1999)
- She's All That (1999)
- The Out-of-Towners (1999)
- Dudley Do-Right (1999)
- Judging Amy (1999) TV series
- Bring It On (2000)
- Grosse Pointe (2000) TV series
- The Family Man (2000)
- The Wedding Planner (2001)
- Monkeybone (2001)
- The Trumpet of the Swan (2001)
- Six Feet Under (2001) TV series
- Maybe It's Me (2001) TV Series
- Not Another Teen Movie (2001)
- Orange County (2002)
- Showboy (2002)
- Like Mike (2002)
- The Master of Disguise (2002)
- Bringing Down the House (2003)
- Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt (2003) (TV)
- Down with Love (2003)
- Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (2003)
- Along Came Polly (2004)
- Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)
- Catwoman (2004)
- The Pacifier (2005)
- Ice Princess (2005)
- The Longest Yard (2005)
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)
- Hairspray (2007)
- Step Up 2 (2008)
Critical, public and commercial reception to films Fletcher has directed as of May 13, 2015.
|Film||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic||CinemaScore||Budget||Box office|
|Step Up||19% (103 reviews)||48 (23 reviews)||A-||$12 million||$114.2 million|
|27 Dresses||41% (148 reviews)||47 (31 reviews)||B+||$30 million||$160.3 million|
|The Proposal||44% (181 reviews)||48 (30 reviews)||N/A||$40 million||$317.4 million|
|The Guilt Trip||39% (122 reviews)||50 (29 reviews)||N/A||$40 million||$41.9 million|
|Hot Pursuit||6% (112 reviews)||30 (33 reviews)||C+||$35 million||$16.3 milion|
- Successful director avoids ‘gilt’ trip; Local native Anne Fletcher — director of ‘The Guilt Trip’ — remains grounded
- Five questions with Anne Fletcher, director of '27 Dresses'
- Full cast and crew for 'Step Up' (2006). IMDb. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "Anne Fletcher". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Anne Fletcher". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "CinemaScore". cinemascore.com. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Anne Fletcher Movie Box office". boxofficemojo.com. Amazon.com. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anne Fletcher.|
- Anne Fletcher at the Internet Movie Database
- Press release biography to support her work on the Reebok "Time Out" commercials