Annuals at Lollapalooza, 2007
|Origin||Raleigh and Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA|
|Labels||Canvasback, Ace Fu, Terpsikhore, Banter Media|
|Associated acts||Manchester Orchestra, Minus the Bear, Arcade Fire, The Dear Hunter, The Flaming Lips|
|Past members||Josh Pope
Annuals is an indie rock band from Raleigh, North Carolina. The band was started by Adam Baker in 2003 as a side project of another band called Sunfold, which was led by Annuals lead guitarist Kenny Florence. Early demos and releases from both projects were initially put out by their own imprint called Terpsikhore, which was headed up by bassist Mike Robinson and partner JK Horne.
Annuals appeared as the No. 25 entry in Pitchfork Media's "Infinite Mixtape" series with their song "Brother", and have also made appearances on Spin.com, AOLMusicIndie.com, Stereogum, I Guess I'm Floating, the Underrated, Brooklyn Vegan, and EarFarm (among others) - earning them a newfound reputation for being a "blog band." In the mid-2000s they were frequently compared to the Arcade Fire. and became known for their intense live shows.
They made their national television debut on Late Night with Conan O'Brien performing the song "Carry Around", and came back in October 2008 for a second show, playing "Confessor", the opening track from their album, Such Fun.
Annuals' second album, Such Fun, was released on October 7, 2008 via Canvasback/Terpsikhore records.
In December 2011, it was announced on the band's Facebook page that a forthcoming studio album, Born Raised, would be released in 2012, preceding a tour.
On April 23, 2013, Annuals released their long awaited follow up to Such Fun, "Time Stamp". It was released digitally and is available on Bandcamp, iTunes and Amazon, among other music downloading sites.
On July 2, 2013, Annuals announced through their Facebook that they would be playing their "last show for the foreseeable future" on July 27th.
- Adam Baker - Producer/Vocals/Guitar/Percussion
- Nick Radford - Drums
- Mike Robinson - Bass
- Zack Oden - Guitar/Drums
- Devin Downey - Keys/Percussion/Vocals
- Whit Wright - Pedal Steel
- Kenny Florence - Lead Guitar/Vocals/Percussion
- Anna Spence - Keyboard/Vocals
- Lay Down Dry (Terpsikhore, 2005)
- Git' Got EP (Terpsikhore, 2006)
- Be He Me (Ace Fu, 2006)
- Big Zeus (Ace Fu, 2007) UK-Only EP
- Frelen Mas (Ace Fu, 2007) Digital-Only EP
- Wet Zoo (Ace Fu, 2008) EP
- Such Fun (Canvasback, 2008)
- Sweet Sister (Banter, 2010) EP
- Count the Rings (Souterrain Transmissions, 2010)
- Time Stamp (self-released, 2013) Digital-Only
- Brother (Virgin Records Ltd., 2007)
- Fair (Ace Fu, 2007)
- Confessor (Canvasback, 2008)
- Official website
- Facebook page
- Reverb Nation page
- Band Camp page
- MySpace page
- Annuals live on Daytrotter.com, September 19, 2006
- Annuals live on WOXY.com, February 21, 2007
- Annuals interview on Prefix, January 25, 2008
- Wet Zoo EP Review
- Sunfold ToyTugboats Review
- Annuals photos from Johnny Brenda's in Philadelphia, 1.30.09
- No Depression Town and Country Shorter Feature from Issue No. 75 May-June 2008