Anshen & Allen
San Francisco, California
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Number of locations||4 offices (2010)|
|Key people||Roger Swanson, CEO|
Anshen + Allen is an international architecture, planning and design firm headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Boston, Columbus and London. The firm was ranked eighth for sustainable practices, and nineteenth overall in the "Architect 50" published by Architect magazine. They also ranked twenty-eighth in the top "100 Giants" of Interior Design 2010.
Anshen + Allen was founded by Bob Anshen and Steve Allen in San Francisco in 1940. Their relationship began while they were studying at the University of Pennsylvania School of Architecture. Upon graduation, they both received a traveling fellowship that eventually led them to San Francisco in 1937.
Their first project was the Davies House, a 6,000-square-foot (560 m2) Tudor Gothic inspired mansion in Woodside, California, commissioned by Ralph K. Davies, a senior vice-president of Standard Oil of California. The house was completed on November 30, 1941. After the end of World War II, the firm as a generalist practice developed gas station prototypes for Standard Oil, parking garages and interior naval architecture.
Joseph Eichler, a residential real estate developer, commissioned Anshen + Allen to build the initial Eichler homes in the California Modernist style beginning in 1950. The firm continued to build tract housing until 1962. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, under the leadership of Derek Parker, the firm was transformed into a modern international architectural practice as it is today. In the mid-2000s, Anshen + Allen adopted the use of Building Information Modeling (BIM). In 2007, Anshen + Allen participated in the development of Integrated Project Delivery by serving on the IPD Definition Task Group of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) California Council.
Anshen + Allen was acquired by Stantec in 2010.
- 1956: Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, Arizona, United States
- 1957: Dinosaur National Monument, Quarry Visitor Center, Utah
- 1961: International Building, 601 California Street, San Francisco, California
- 1963: University of California, Berkeley, Latimer Hall, Berkeley, California
- 1964: Central United Methodist Church, Stockton, California
- 1965: Good Samaritan Hospital, San Jose, California
- 1966: University of California, Berkeley, Samuel Silver Space Sciences Laboratory, Berkeley, California
- 1966: University of California, Berkeley, Hildebrand Hall, Berkeley, California
- 1967: Bank of California Building, San Francisco, California
- 1968: University of California, Berkeley, Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, California
- 1969: Union Bank of California Tower, Portland, Oregon
- 1988: Clovis Community Hospital, Clovis, California
- 1991: Stanford University Medical Center, Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, Palo Alto, California
- 1993: Stanford University, Green Earth Sciences Building, Palo Alto, California
- 1993: University of California, Berkeley, Tang Center - Health Services Building, Berkeley, California
- 1994: Children's Hospital, Ambulatory Services Building, Oakland, California
- 1994: Stanford University, Landau Center for Economics and Policy Research, Palo Alto, California
- 1998: Oregon Health and Science University, Doernbecher Children's Hospital, Portland, Oregon
- 1998: Stanford University, Alway Building Genetics Department Lab, Palo Alto, California
- 1999: Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Main Hospital and Specialty Center, San Jose, California
- 1999: King's College, New Hunt's House, London, United Kingdom
- 1999: Beijing Hospital, Inpatient Pavilion, Beijing, China
- 2000: King's College, Franklin-Wilkins Building, London, United Kingdom
- 2000: Seattle Children's, Pediatric and Infant Intensive Care Unit, Seattle, Washington
- 2001: University of California, San Francisco Medical Center, Ambulatory Care Center, Radiology Clinic and Pediatrics Clinic, San Francisco, California
- 2002: Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich, United Kingdom
- 2002: Asian Hospital and Medical Center, Filinvest, Alabang, Philippines
- 2002: MESA Industries, MESA Women's Health Center, Ankara, Turkey
- 2002: Diablo Valley College, Business and Language Building, Pleasant Hill, California
- 2002: University of Kentucky, Ralph G. Anderson Engineering Building, Lexington, Kentucky
- 2002: University of California, Berkeley, Hildebrand and Latimer Hall Seismic Upgrades, Berkeley, California
- 2002: University of California, Davis, Contained Research Facility, Davis, California
- 2003: Intermountain Healthcare, Dixie Regional Medical Center, St. George, Utah
- 2003: Contra Costa County Regional Medical Center, Ambulatory Care Center, Martinez, California
- 2003: California State University, Monterey Bay, Chapman Science Academic Center, Seaside, California
- 2003: Occidental College, Hameetman Science Center, Los Angeles, California
- 2004: Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, New Botnar Building, London, United Kingdom
- 2004: Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, Weston House - Patient Hospital and Education Center, London, United Kingdom
- 2004: Harvard University School of Dental Medicine, Research and Education Building, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2004: University of Missouri, Life Sciences Center, Columbia, Missouri
- 2004: De Anza College, Science Center, Cupertino, California
- 2005: University of Cambridge, Hutchison Cancer Research Centre, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 2006: Meyer Children's Hospital, Florence, Italy
- 2006: University of Manchester, Sir Henry Wellcome Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, Manchester, United Kingdom
- 2006: University of California, Santa Cruz, Physical Sciences Building, Santa Cruz, California
- 2006: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Michael Hooker Research Center, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- 2006: University of Utah, Warnock Engineering Building, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2007: Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara Medical Center, Santa Clara, California
- 2007: Fenway Community Health Center, Health Clinic, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2007: Intermountain Healthcare, Intermountain Medical Center, Murray, Utah
- 2008: PeaceHealth, Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend, Springfield, Oregon
- 2009: Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle, United Kingdom
- 2009: Stanford Hospitals & Clinics, Outpatient Center, Redwood City, California
- 2009: City and County of San Francisco Department of Health, Laguna Honda Hospital Expansion, San Francisco, California
- 2009: Palomar Pomerado Health, Palomar Medical Center and Pomerado Hospital, San Diego, California
- 2010: Mills-Peninsula Health Services, Peninsula Medical Center, Burlingame, California
- 2015: University of California, San Francisco Medical Center, Mission Bay Campus, San Francisco, California (Under construction)
- Concrete Masonry Design Award, 2005
- Building Design & Construction Best AEC Firms to Work For, 2007
- Camden Building Quality Awards for Large Commercial - Octav Botnar Wing, Great Ormond Street Hospital, 2007
- Interior Design Best of Year Merit Award for Healthcare - Jon & Karen Huntsman Cancer Center, Intermountain Medical Center, 2007
- Interior Design Best of Year Merit Award for Education - Sir Henry Wellcome Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, 2007
- International Interior Design Association Northern California Chapter Honor Award - Sir Henry Wellcome Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, 2008
- Building Better Health Care Award for Best International Design - Intermountain Medical Center, 2008
- Building Better Health Care Award for Best Hospital Design - Northern Centre for Cancer Care and Renal Services Centre, The Freeman Hospital, 2008
- Building Better Health Care Judge's Special Award Highly Commended - The Bexley Wing, St. James's Institute of Oncology, St. James University Hospital, 2008
- U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver Certification for Columbus Office, 2009.
- American Society of Healthcare Engineering Vista Award for New Construction - Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend, 2009
- Healthcare Environment Award for Ambulatory Care Facilities - Stanford Medicine Outpatient Center, 2010 
- Building Design & Construction. July 7, 2009. "Top 75 International Design Firms."
- Tulacz, Gary J. Engineering News-Record. April 21, 2010. "The Top 500 Design Firms."
- Dickinson, Elizabeth Evitts (28 April 2010). "Top 10: Green". Architect. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- Hurley, Amanda Kolson (28 April 2010). "The 2nd Annual Architect 50". Architect. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- Davidsen, Judith (1 January 2010). "2010 Giants: A Spoonful of Sugar". Interior Design. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- Cleper-Borkovi, Felicia et al. (2007). Modernity in Healing and Learning: The Architecture of Anshen + Allen.
- Arbunich, Marty. (2002). Eichler: Modernism Rebuilds the American Dream.
- Ditto, Jerry et al. (1995). Eichler Homes: Design for Living.
- Barista, Dave. Building Design & Construction. July 28, 2009. "BIM Adoption Rate Exceeds 80% Among Nation's Largest AEC Firms".
- Integrated Project Delivery Definition Task Group, May 15, 2007. Integrated Project Delivery: A Working Definition.
- Nicholas Tamarin (25 March 2010). "Anshen + Allen Turns Containers Into Clinics". Interior Design.
- Engineering News-Record. July 6, 2009."The Top 100 Green Design Firms".
- Building Design & Construction. July 7, 2009. "Top 100 Healthcare Design Firms."
- Building Design & Construction. July 7, 2009. "Top 100 University Design Firms."
- Beautyman, Mairi. Interior Design. June 27, 2005. "Anshen + Allen Architects Receives AIA Award."
- Fabris, Peter. Building, Design and Construction. May 1, 2007. "Nurturing a Passion for Healthcare."
- Beautyman, Mairi. Interior Design. February 14, 2008. "IIDA Northern California Bestows Honor Awards."
- Tamarin, Nicholas. Interior Design. October 5, 2009, "Anshen + Allen Snag LEED Silver for Columbus Office."
- Tamarin, Nicholas. Interior Design. April 16, 2009. "Northwestern Health-Care Facility Wins Vista Award."
- Editorial staff (1 October 2009). "To Your Health". Contract. Retrieved 10 November 2010.