||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
|Born||Ariana Clarice Richards
September 11, 1979
Healdsburg, California, U.S.
Ariana Clarice Richards (born September 11, 1979) is an American actress and professional painter. She is best known for her roles as a child actress such as Carol Wetherby in the film Prancer, Mindy Sterngood in Tremors and Lex Murphy in the blockbuster film Jurassic Park. She has won several Young Artist Awards.
Richards was born in Healdsburg, California, the daughter of Darielle (née Garrison), a public relations representative and film producer, and Gary Richards. Her sister, Bethany, is also an actress. Her maternal grandmother, who was of Italian ancestry, was a descendant of Renaissance painter Carlo Crivelli. Richards is also a descendant of boxer John L. Sullivan.
Richards graduated from Skidmore College, earning a degree in Fine Art and Drama, with distinction. She continued with instruction at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena and also attended Western Oregon University.
Richards made her acting debut in 1987's Into the Homeland, a made-for-cable release that starred Powers Boothe. Her most notable appearance was as Lex Murphy in the first Jurassic Park film; she reprised the role very briefly in the sequel The Lost World: Jurassic Park. She also appeared as Mindy Sterngood in the first Tremors film and reprised her role in the second sequel Tremors 3: Back to Perfection, which went straight to video. She has been featured in other films such as Angus, where she played a high school cheerleader; she also appeared on television episodes of The Golden Girls, Empty Nest and Boy Meets World.
In addition to acting in movies, Richards appeared in the 1998 music video "Brick" by Ben Folds Five, portraying a high school student having an abortion. She appeared in the September 2006 issue of the British movie magazine Empire discussing a possible return to acting.
- Favourite Newcomer – Japan: Jurassic Park (1994)
- Favourite Newcomer – Australia: Jurassic Park (1994)
- Favourite Newcomer – United Kingdom: Jurassic Park (1994)
- The Bambi Award: Jurassic Park (1993)
- Young Artist Award – Best Young Actress in a Motion Picture: Jurassic Park (1993)
- Young Artist Award – Best Young Actress in a Television Movie: Locked Up: A Mother's Rage (1992)
- Young Artist Award – Best Young Actress in a Television Movie: Switched At Birth (1991)
|1987||Golden Girls, TheThe Golden Girls||Lisa||Television program
Episode: "And Then There Was One"
|1987||Into the Homeland||Ember Swallow (age 5 & 7)||Television film|
|1988||My Sister Sam||Morgan||Television program
Episode: "Life, Death and Admiral Andy"
|1988||I'm Gonna Git You Sucka||Little Girl|
|1989||Face of the Enemy||Voice only|
|1989||Empty Nest||Phoebe Swenson||Television program
Episode: "Harry Snubs Laverne"
|1990||Island Son||Tess Delaney||Television program
|1990||The Incident||Nancy||Television film|
|1991||Switched at Birth||Kimberly Mays, Age 9-11||Television film|
|1992||Locked Up: A Mother's Rage||Kelly Gallagher||Television film|
|1992||Against Her Will: An Incident in Baltimore||Nancy||Television film|
|1993||Jurassic Park||Lex Murphy|
|1995||Capitol Critters||President's Granddaughter||Voice only
Episode: "If Lovin' You Is Wrong, I Don't Wanna Be Rat"
|1996||Born Free: A New Adventure||Valerie Porter||Television film|
|1996||Boy Meets World||Claire Ferguson||Television program
Episode: "Dangerous Secret"
|1997||Lost World: Jurassic Park, TheThe Lost World: Jurassic Park||Lex Murphy|
|1997||Total Security||Karen Dieboldt||Television program
Episode: "Who's Poppa?"
|1997||Princess Stallion, TheThe Princess Stallion||Sarah Stewart||Television film|
|1998||Race Against Fear||Mickey Carlyle||Television film|
|2001||Tremors 3: Back to Perfection||Mindy Sterngood||Direct-to-video|
|2013||Battledogs||Donna Voorhees||Was titled "Ward's Island"|
In 1993, Richards released the album First Love on the Pony Canyon label in Japan. The album was a mix between teen-pop and dance friendly ballads of the early 1990s. There was also a single released in very small volume. Ariana and her mother wrote the words to the track "You're the Reason".
Richards has become a successful artist. Her paintings, usually of landscapes and figures, tend to be in the style of the impressionists. In October 2005, she won first place in the National Professional Oil Painting Competition (sponsored by American Artist Magazine) for the painting Lady of the Dahlias.
- Art of the West's Award of Excellence (2006)
- The National Professional Oil Painting Competition (2005)
- FilmReference.com biography
- "Book of Memories". Bollmanfuneralhome.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Ariana Richards descendant of Carlo Crivelli Itialian Renaissance artist". Galleryariana.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Biography – A Brief Introduction". ariana.org. Archived from the original on 25 July 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- "Werewolf movie uses Buffalo as stand-in for New York City - City & Region". The Buffalo News. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "VH1′s 100 Greatest Kid Stars Of All Time". Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Jurassic Park Star All Grown Up on The Yo Show. Accessed October 19, 2012.
- Click, Carl (April 5, 2013). "'Jurassic Park:' 20 years later: Where actress Ariana Richards is today". KATU News. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- Ariana Richards at the Internet Movie Database
- Gallery Ariana -- Ariana Richards' art gallery website