No. -- Jacksonville Jaguars
|Date of birth:September 8, 1988|
|Place of birth: Washington, D. C.|
|High school: Washington (DC) Dunbar|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 2 / Pick: 39|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Arrelious Markus Benn (born September 8, 1988) is an American football wide receiver and return specialist who plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football for Illinois.
High school career
A native of Washington, DC, Benn attended Dunbar High School in the Truxton Circle neighbourhood, where he was teammates with Vontae Davis and Nate Bussey. Benn played wide receiver, running back, safety, and linebacker in high school, and was named a First Team High School All American his senior season. That year Benn caught 56 passes for 1,039 yards and nine touchdowns, the first Dunbar player to ever crack the 1,000 yard mark. During his junior season in high school, Benn caught 50 passes for 1,147 yards and 17 touchdowns. Following his high school career, Benn was invited to play in the 2007 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
Regarded as a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Benn was ranked as the No. 5 wide receiver prospect in the class of 2007, behind Ronald Johnson, Terrence Toliver, Chris Culliver, and Dwight Jones. Benn chose Illinois over Maryland, Notre Dame, Miami (FL), and Florida State.
During his freshman season, Benn caught 43 passes for 521 yards, both team highs and school freshman records, and scored two touchdowns. Benn also added 158 yards on 32 carries, along with returning 10 kickoffs for 280 yards, including a 90 yard return for touchdown against Penn State. He was named the 2007 Big Ten Freshman of the Year. During his sophomore campaign, Benn's stats improved to 67 rec and 1055 yards, 3 touchdowns (led Big Ten in receiving yards), and also contributed to the run game by rushing for 101 on 23 carries for 2 touchdowns. On August 10, 2009 Benn was named to the Walter Camp "Players to Watch" list for its prestigious Player of the Year award, the nation's fourth-oldest individual college football accolade. On August 12, 2009 Benn was named to 2009 Biletnikoff Trophy Watch list.
College awards and honors
- Maxwell Award Candidate
- Bliletnikoff Award Candidate
- Preseason Third-Team All-American (by Athlon)
- Preseason First-Team All-Big Ten (by Athlon)
- Preseason First-Team All-Big Ten wide receiver and kick returner (by Blue Ribbon)
- Preseason First-Team All-Big Ten (by Lindy's)
- Preseason First-Team All-Big Ten (by The Sporting News)
- Named Big Ten's Fastest Receiver (by The Sporting News)
- Rated the No. 20 player in the nation (by The Sporting News)
- Rated the No. 19 wide receiver in the nation (by Lindy's)
- Rated the No. 1 wide receiver in the Big Ten (by The Sporting News)
- 2007 Big Ten Freshman of the Year
- 2007 Freshman All-American
2010 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 1 in||222 lb||32¼ in||9⅜ in||4.42 s||1.55 s||2.58 s||4.32 s||6.78 s||37 in||9 ft 10 in||20 reps||11|
|40 time, short shuttle, and 3-cone drill from Illinois Pro Day. All other values from NFL Combine.|
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Benn was drafted in the second round, pick 39 overall, by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
On March 15, 2013, Benn was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles, along with a 7th-round pick, for a 2013 6th-round pick and a 2014 conditional pick. On March 21, 2013, Arrelious Benn signed a one-year contract extension through 2014. On August 6, 2013, Benn tore his ACL. On August 7, 2013, Benn was placed on the Injured Reserve list, which officially ended his 2013 season. He was released by the Eagles on May 16, 2014. Benn was then re-signed by Philadelphia on May 19. Benn was placed on injured reserve on August 30, 2014. He was waived with an injury settlement on September 6.
Benn signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars on December 31, 2014.
- "2007 U.S. Army All-American Bowl Roster". Rivals.com. Retrieved 2007-01-24.
- Rivals.com wide receivers 2007
- Gary Klein, USC-Illinois accents Rose Bowl tradition, Los Angeles Times, December 3, 2007.
- 2007 Big Ten Awards - Mendenhall, O'Donnell, Benn, Leman, V Davis, Zook [Archive] - Illinois Loyalty Forums
- Ryan, Shannon (December 17, 2009), "Illinois' Arrelious Benn heading to the NFL", Chicago Tribune
- "Arrelious Benn Combine Profile", NFL.com, archived from the original on 2 March 2010, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- "Arrelious Benn Draft Profile", NFLDraftScout.com.
- Eagles Acquire WR Arrelious Benn
- Wesseling, Chris (August 6, 2013). "Arrelious Benn tears ACL; Philadelphia Eagles thinner". NFL.com. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- McPherson, Chris (August 7, 2013). "Arrelious Benn Placed On Injured Reserve". PhiladelphiaEagles.com. Retrieved August 8, 2013.