|• Total||669.08 km2 (258.33 sq mi)|
|• Land||613.25 km2 (236.78 sq mi)|
|• Water||55.83 km2 (21.56 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2013)|
|• Density||32/km2 (84/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
The municipality in its present size was created in 1967 when the four surrounding municipalities were joined with the then City of Avesta. In 1971 it became a municipality of unitary type.
Avesta borders to the municipalities of:
- Hedemora in Dalarna,
- Hofors and Sandviken in Gävleborg County,
- Norberg and Sala in Västmanland County
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2010)|
Speedway: The most successful sport team in Avesta is their speedway team Masarna, translating to "the men of Dalecarlia", competing in the highest division in Sweden.
Football: Avesta AIK, Krylbo IF
Ladies' handball: Avesta Brovallen HF
Ice hockey: Avesta BK
Near the town Avesta is a park of European bison.
The city is today mostly notable for its steel mill owned by the Finnish company, Outokumpu.
The largest Dalecarlian horse (Dalahäst) in the world is located in Avesta. It is 13 meters tall and weighs 67 tons.
- Tony Rickardsson, rally driver, former speedway driver
- Nicklas Lidström, ice hockey player (NHL)
- Scar Symmetry, band
- Lars-Inge Svartenbrandt
Result of the 2010 election
Moderate Party 22,93%
Centre party 6,25%
Liberal People's Party 4,77%
Christian Democrats 3,46%
Left Party 5,42%
Green Party 4,95%
Sweden Democrats 7,21%
Other Parties 0,96%
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "SCB, Befolkningsstatistik 31 December 2013" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved April 2014.