Bhupinder Singh (musician)
|Also known as||Bhupi|
6 February 1940 |
Amritsar, Punjab, India
|Occupation(s)||Ghazal singer and composer|
Bhupinder Singh (born 6 February 1940) is an Indian musician, chiefly a Ghazal singer and also a Bollywood playback singer.
He was born in Amritsar, Punjab to Prof Natha Singh ji (Punjabi Sikh), a trained vocalist and his early music teacher. His father was a strict teacher, and Bhupinder hated music and its instruments at one stage.
Early in his career, Bhupinder performed on All India Radio, Delhi. He was also attached to the Delhi Doordarshan Center, Delhi. He learnt guitar and violin. In 1962, music director Madan Mohan heard him at a dinner hosted by Satish Bhatia in his honour( Satish Bhatia was Producer in AIR Delhi and Bhupendra was working under him as a guitarist), and called him to Bombay. He gave him a chance to sing the song Hoke Majboor Mujhe Usne Bulaya Hoga with Mohammad Rafi in Chetan Anand's Haqeeqat.
Thereafter Bhupinder started releasing private albums wherein his first LP had three self-composed songs and was released in 1968, second LP of ghazals wherein he introduced the Spanish guitar, bass and drums to the ghazal style, released in 1978 and his third LP titled Woh Jo Shair Tha, for which the lyrics were written by Gulzar in 1980.
Entering wedlock with a Bangladeshi singer Mitali, he moved away from playback singing in the mid-1980s and since then has been singing jointly for several albums and live concerts. The sensational duo of Bhupinder-Mitali became an aura. Together they have produced lots of ghazal and geet cassettes till date and their charisma has increased day by day. Some of the very famous numbers of the artists are - 'Dil Dhoondta hai', 'Do diwane shahar mein', 'Naam gum jayega', "Karoge yaad to", "Meethe bol bole", "Kabhi kisi ko mukammal", "Kisi nazar ko tera intezaar aaj bhi".
In the mid-1980s, Bhupinder married a Bangladeshi singer Mitali Mukherjee and moved away from playback singing. Mithali Mukherjee was also a big singer of that time. Together, they perform at ghazal and live performances.They have a boy named nihal singh who is also a musician in his own rights.
|Dream Sellers||1980||Includes various songs from Bollywood movies he had already sung before.|
|Aarzoo||With Mitali Mukherjee|
|Chandani Raat||With Mitali Mukherjee Singh|
|Gulmohar||With Mitali Mukherjee Singh|
|Ghazal Ke Phool||With Mitali Mukherjee Singh|
|Ek Arzoo||2004||With Mitali Mukherjee Singh.
|Surmayi Raat||2013||With Gulzar|
|Yaad-E-Mehboob||With Jagjit Singh, Chitra Singh and others.|
|Meri Aawaaz Hi Pehchan Hai||2 songs with Lata Mangeshkar.
Album Artists: Mohammed Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar, Bhupinder Singh, Babla Mehta, Shailendra Singh and Kishore Kumar.
- Dum Maro Dum (Hare Rama Hare Krishna), composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Ek Hi Khwaab, composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Chura liya hai (Yaadon Ki Baaraat), composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Chingari Koi Bhadke (Amar Prem), composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Chalte Chalte (Chalte Chalte)
- Mehbooba O Mehbooba (Sholay), composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Ambar ki ek paak surahi (Kadambari), composed by Ustad Vilayat Khan
- Tum jo mil gaye ho (Hanste Zakhm), composed by Madan Mohan
As playback singer
- Aawaz Di Hai Aaj Ek Nazar Ne from the movie Aitbaar (1986) (composed by Bappi Lahiri)
- Gulab Jism Ka, film Anjuman (1986) (composed by Khayyam)
- Kisi Nazar Ko Tera Intezar Aaj Bhi Hai, composed by Bappi Lahiri
- Hoke Majboor Mujhe Usne Bulaya Hoga, composed by Madan Mohan
- Beeti Na Beetai Raina, composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Dil Dhoondta Hai, composed by Madan Mohan
- Naam Gum Jayega, composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Ek Akela Is Shaher Mein, composed by Jaidev
- Daro Deewar Pe..Khush Raho Ahle-Vatan! composed by Jaidev
- Huzoor Is Kadar bhi na Itra ke Chaliye(movie:-Maasoom), composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Hothon Pe Aisi Baat, composed by Sachin Dev Burman
- Kaise Kahoon kuch kaina sakoon from Tamil film Nandu 1981, composed by Ilayaraja
- Tum say jo bat hui tum say jo mulaqat hui (composed by Uttam-Jagdesh)
- Baadalon se Kaat Kaat ke from the movie Satya (1998) (composed by Vishal Bharadwaj)
- "Karoge Yaad to Har Baat Yaad Aayegi" from the movie Bazaar (1982) composed by Khayyam
- "Down Memory Lane: Bhupinder Singh". Archived from the original on 21 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Bhupinder – Hauntingly 'Hummable'". Archived from the original on 2006-05-03. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Surmayi Raat with Gulzar and Bhupinder Singh". Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Andolan (1977) Bhupinder Singh, Jaidev, Ram Prasad Bismil". Retrieved 2014-01-18.