Birds of My Neighborhood
|Birds of My Neighborhood|
|Studio album by The Innocence Mission|
|Released||August 10, 1999|
|Label||Kneeling Elephant / RCA
Badman Recording Co.
|Producer||The Innocence Mission|
|The Innocence Mission chronology|
Birds of My Neighborhood is The Innocence Mission's fourth full-length studio album.
Originally released on the RCA sub-label Kneeling Elephant in 1999, the album was long-out of print until their current record label - Badman Recording Co. - acquired license to remaster and reissue the material in 2006.
This was the group's first release as a trio following the departure of founding member Steve Brown in 1997. With the exception of his sole contribution to the album - drums and brushes on "Snow" - the album is largely bereft of drums. Don Peris took up percussional duties on "Birdless" and the closing moments of his self-penned "Green Grass, Red Tree," but otherwise the group adapted to its new trio status by replacing Mike Bitt's electric bass with an upright bass and taking on a more acoustic, folk-based sound than their previous guitar-heavy work.
Their cover of "Follow Me" was recorded in late 1997 for inclusion on the John Denver tribute album Take Me Home, which had an estimated release date of 1998. With that record's release being continually delayed, however, Don Peris approached that record's curator, the Red House Painters's Mark Kozelek, for permission to include the cover on The Innocence Mission's own record. Mark Kozelek agreed, on condition that the song still be included on the tribute record when a general release was finally given in April 2000.
All tracks written by Karen Peris, except where noted.
|1.||"Where Does the Time Go?"||3:32|
|3.||"Follow Me" (John Denver)||3:19|
|4.||"The Lakes of Canada"||4:35|
|5.||"You Are the Light"||2:56|
|7.||"I Haven't Seen This Day Before"||2:09|
|8.||"She May Turn Around"||2:17|
|9.||"I Was in the Air" (Don Peris)||2:38|
|11.||"Going Away" (Karen Peris, Don Peris)||3:06|
|12.||"Green Grass, Red Tree" (Don Peris)||2:20|
- Karen Peris — acoustic, electric and nylon string guitar, piano, organ, vocals
- Don Peris — acoustic, electric and nylon string guitar, drums, tambourine, organ, lead and background vocals
- Mike Bitts — upright and electric bass guitar, background vocals
- Steve Brown — drums and brushes on "Snow"
- Recorded and Mixed by Don Peris
- Tracks 3, 4, 5, 7, 10 mixed by Todd Vos and Don Peris
- Greg Calbi: Mastering [Original]
- Shawn Hatfield: Mastering [Re-Release]
- Allmusic review
- Pitchfork Media review
- Brown, Todd. "The Innocence Mission True Tunes Interview". True Tunes. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "Sufjan Stevens - The Lakes of Canada - A Take Away Show". Youtube. May 31, 2007. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "Sufjan Stevens - NPR All Songs Considered". March 8, 2009. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
|This 1990s alternative rock album–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|