Bishop Verot High School
|Bishop Verot High School|
|5598 Sunrise Drive
Fort Myers, Florida, (Lee County), 33919
(May he not fail in his attempt)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Principal||Dr. Denny Denison|
|Color(s)||Black and gold|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Average SAT scores||1575|
|Average ACT scores||23.5|
|Dean of Academics||Catherine Elliott|
|Dean of Students||David Nelson|
|Admissions Director||Jill Rhone|
|Athletic Director||John Gulley|
Bishop Verot Catholic High School was established in 1962 as Fort Myers Central Catholic High School. The school was renamed Bishop Verot when they moved to their newly constructed location in 1964. The school is named after Bishop Augustin Verot, the first Bishop of Florida. The current principal is John A. Cavell, Jr.
The school's sports teams are nicknamed the "Vikings." The outdoor teams play on field turf installed in 2005. The indoor teams play in the John J. Nevins Gymnasium, which plays host to the City of Palms Classic.
Bishop Verot has claimed five state championships in its 50 year history: 1984 (volleyball), 1994 (baseball), 2001 (boys' soccer), 2010 (boys' soccer), and most recently, 2011 (baseball).
- Dane Eagle, District 77, Florida House of Representatives
- Chris Johnson,third baseman (Houston Astros, Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves)
- Adam Piatt, outfielder (Oakland Athletics, Tampa Bay Rays)
Notes and references
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link]
- BVHS. "Bishop Verot High School Student Handbook" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- Hanson, Tom (2004-07-25). "College Football: Zook wants to reach out". Marco Eagle. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Fordin, Spencer (2014-03-07). "Johnson makes trip to play in hometown". MLB.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Piatt: I don't regret steroid decision". WBBH-TV. 2007-12-13. Retrieved 2014-03-08.