|Directed by||Samira Makhmalbaf|
|Written by||Mohsen Makhmalbaf
|Music by||Mohammad-Reza Darvishi|
|Distributed by||Artificial Eye (UK)
Leisure Time Features (USA)
Wellspring Media (US DVD)
|Release dates||25 October 2000 (U.S.)|
|Running time||85 minutes|
Blackboards (Persian: تخته سیاه, Takhté siah) is a 2000 Iranian film directed by Samira Makhmalbaf. It focuses on a group of Kurdish refugees after the chemical bombing of Halabja by Saddam Hussein's Iraq during the Iran–Iraq War (1980-1988). The screenplay was co-written by Makhmalbaf with her father, Mohsen Makhmalbaf. The dialogue is entirely in Kurdish. Makhmalbaf describes it as "something between reality and fiction. Smuggling, being homeless, and people’s efforts to survive are all part of reality... the film, as a whole, is a metaphor."
- Said Mohamadi as Said
- Behnaz Jafari as Halaleh
- Bahman Ghobadi as a teacher
- Mohamad Karim Rahmati as Father
- Rafat Moradi as Ribvar
- "Jury Prize", Official Competition section of the 2000 Cannes Film Festival, France.
- "Federico Fellini Honor", UNESCO, Paris, 2000.
- "François Truffaut prize", Giffoni Film Festival in Italy 2000.
- "Giffoni's Mayor Prize", Giffoni Film Festival, Italy, 2000.
- "Special cultural Prize", UNESCO, Paris, 2000.
- "The Grand Jury prize", American Film Institute, USA, 2000
- "Makhmalbaf Film House: Samira".
- "Samira's Interview with Haghighat for the movie The Blackboard / English". Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- "Festival de Cannes: Blackboards". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Rosenbaum, Jonathan (April 25, 2003). "Mythic Mission (BLACKBOARDS)". The Chicago Reader. Rosenbaum reviews Blackboards and notes parallels with the 1950 Western, Wagon Master, that was conceived, produced, and directed by John Ford.
|Jury Prize, Cannes
tied with Songs from the Second Floor
No award 2001
Divine Intervention (2002)
|This 1990s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to an Iranian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|