Bob Beckel (2011)
|Born||Robert Gilliland Beckel
November 15, 1948
New York City
|Education||Wagner College, B.A. (fine arts)|
|Home town||Lyme, Connecticut|
|Relatives||Graham Beckel (brother)|
Robert Gilliland "Bob" Beckel (born November 15, 1948) is an American political pundit and former political operative. He is an analyst on the Fox News Channel, where he co-hosts The Five. He is also a columnist for USA Today where he writes articles with friend and political opposite Cal Thomas in the style of "point–counterpoint".
Son of Cambridge Graham Beckel Jr. (author of Workshops for the World: The United Nations Family of Agencies [New York: Abelard-Schuman, 1954, 1962 (rev. ed.)]) and Ellen Gilliland Beckel, “Bud” Beckel was born in New York City and grew up in Lyme, Connecticut. He is the brother of actor Graham Beckel, and a Protestant.
In 1977, he joined the U.S. Department of State and became the youngest deputy assistant secretary of state (deputy assistant secretary of state for congressional relations) for the Carter administration, helping to shepherd the Panama Canal Treaty to ratification; and the following year was appointed Special Assistant to the President for congressional liaison, working on Salt II and Mideast treaties.
Beckel was the campaign manager for Walter Mondale’s 1984 presidential campaign. During that campaign he became known as the man who effectively wrapped the Wendy's slogan “Where's the beef?” around Gary Hart, Mondale’s opponent for the Democratic nomination.
In late 1984, he formed the consulting firm Bob Beckel & Associates, or BBA, which was succeeded in 1985 by Beckel–Cowan, described by Robert G. Kaiser in the Washington Post as “a pioneering ‘grass roots’ lobbying firm whose specialty was building support for policy ideas—or creating the appearance of it—around the country. This was the art form that came to be known as ‘Astroturf’ lobbying, since the grass-roots sentiments being expressed were not entirely natural.”
Beckel managed Alan Blinken’s 2002 Senate campaign until he was dismissed after being targeted for extortion by a prostitute. He made a brief appearance as himself on the Season 8 premiere of 24 in a mock debate with fellow Fox News Analyst Monica Crowley.
Beckel is a recovering alcoholic. He has spoken openly about his past addictions to drugs and alcohol, admitting in July 2011 on The Five: “I'm a recovering addict and cocaine was my drug of choice.”
In early 2015, Bob was absent from "The Five" for a number of weeks which led to speculation about if he had been fired. Fox later announced that his absence was due to "health related issues", and it was later revealed that he had major back surgery on March 26th at a NewYork area hospital. His spot was filled by Fox regulars Juan Williams, Julie Roginsky and others. During his absence, Beckel stated via his Twitter account that while many conservatives sent well wishes for a recovery and return, many on the left never said anything. 
- Beckel initially evoked controversy in August 2011 when he implied on air that he had held back from criticizing his Fox News colleague Sarah Palin. He agreed with The Five co-host Greg Gutfeld when Gutfeld said he felt awkward making negative comments about Palin, because “it's like [badmouthing] a co-worker.” “I know exactly what you mean,” Beckel added. “I'll be honest, I've pulled my punches.” Both Gutfeld and Beckel later said they were joking, however.
- In December 2010, with reference to Julian Assange while on Eric Bolling’s show Cashin' In (on the Fox Business Network), Beckel commented, “This guy’s a traitor, he’s treasonous, and he has broken every law of the United States. And I’m not for the death penalty, so [...] there’s only one way to do it: illegally shoot the son of a bitch.”
- On April 16, 2012, Beckel appeared on Hannity with Jennifer Stefano and Neal Boortz. After Stefano claimed that the Head Start Program, which aims to help poor children, did not work, Beckel replied, “You don’t know what the f*ck you're talking about!” Beckel did not realize the show was back from the commercial break, and initially refused to apologize. When persuaded that the show was, in fact, live, Beckel apologized for his choice of language, but stood by the overall intent of the statement.
- In August 2012, Beckel reportedly offended some Jews when he referred to Jewish Americans who had participated in a Mitt Romney fundraiser in Israel as “a bunch of diamond merchants we don’t know the names of.”
- In November 2012, Beckel concluded, while commentating on the San Francisco public nudity ban live on Fox News, that most nudists were, as children, “probably gang-banged, I don’t know!” and then proceeded to laugh about his comment and saying, “they were probably sexually assaulted, I don’t know!”
- In February 2013, Beckel made the statement that rapes on campus do not really happen and asserted that victims of date rape aren’t going to “take a gun out and shoot [their] date.”
- In April 2013, in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, Beckel commented that visas should be denied to students who emigrate from Islamic countries. Beckel later apologized for his statements.
- In July 2014, during a discussion on "The Five" about who poses a threat to the U.S., he stated, "The Chinese are the single biggest threat to the national security of the U.S. They have been, they will be and they can wait, they're very patient. Do you know what we just did? As usual, we bring them over here and we teach a bunch of Chinamen -- er, Chinese people -- how to do computers and then they go back to China and hack into us." 
- In January 2015, during a discussion on "The Five" about youth sentiments about radical Islam, he said: "I think it’s sort of like in the United States where younger people today, it’s not at all unusual for people to see multicultural dating, for example. Back when I was young you didn’t date out of your own ethnicity. But in Europe and other places, this mingling that’s going on here, younger people are beginning to find this acceptable. And that’s the thing that is sort of scary because they’re getting exposed to it on a daily basis.” 
- Thomas, Cal; Beckel, Bob (2007). Common Ground: How to Stop the Partisan War That Is Destroying America (1st ed.). New York: William Morrow. ISBN 978-0-06-123634-1. LCCN 2008541878. OCLC 166295043. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- The Five, March 10, 2014 https://archive.org/details/FOXNEWSW_20140310_210000_The_Five#start/3540/end/3600
- "Bob Beckel". Celebrity Net Wealth. August 21, 2012. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- "The Lives Behind a Liberal [Bob] and a Conservative [Cal]". USA Today. September 3, 2009. p. 11A. Thomas, Cal; Beckel, Bob (2007). Common Ground: How to Stop the Partisan War That Is Destroying America. New York: William Morrow. p. 19.
- Fox News: "What are 'The Five' giving up for Lent?", February 13, 2013, retrieved 2014-06-11,
Look, I'm not one of you Catholics. I'm a Protestant.
- "Political Contributor Bob Beckel". Fox News. January 13, 2011.
- "CNN: C R O S S F I R E - 15th A N N I V E R S A R Y". CNN. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
After a political baptism as a college student in Robert Kennedy's 1968 campaign, a tour of duty in the Peace Corps and a successful stint heading up his own consulting firm, Beckel joined the government in 1977. As the deputy assistant secretary of state, he steered the controversial Panama Canal Treaties through Congress. He moved to the White House to head an Administration effort to press Congress into passing the Mideast and Salt II treaties.
- Weinraub, Bernard (June 8, 1984). "From Gloom to Exultation: Mondale’s Long Campaign". New York Times. p. A1. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Peace Corps. "Business and Industry".
- Gurciullo, Brianna (February 22, 2013). "Former professor says rapes on college campuses are uncommon". The GW Hatchet (George Washington University). Retrieved 2014-06-11.
..Beckel, a liberal commentator who taught in the Graduate School of Political Management for more than a decade...
- "Bob Beckel]". George Washington University Graduate School of Political Management.
- Mostafavi, Beata (April 25, 2008). "Pundits Cal Thomas, Bob Beckel spar, but on common ground". The Flint Journal (mLive.com). Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- Darling, Lynn (April 24, 1983). "They Are Driven: What Makes Campaign Managers Run?; Why Are the Campaign Managers So Driven?". The Washington Post. p. C1.
- "Chapter 13". The Washington Post.
- "Campaigner resigns after reported extortion attempt". Lewiston Morning Tribune (Lewiston, Idaho). Associated Press. September 1, 2002. p. 4C.
- Cooley, Joshua (February 14, 2001). "Beckel: From Beatnik Golfer to College Coach, Mother". The Gazette (Gaithersburg, Maryland: Post Community Media). Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Grove, Lloyd (September 4, 2002). "The Reliable Source". Washington Post. p. C3.
- "Beckel: It Takes Faith to Overcome Addiction". CBN. May 29, 2008. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "And You Think He’s Feisty on Fox".
- Bob Beckel Choking: Says Roger Ailes, Eric Bolling Saved His Life. Huffington Post. 2011-10-14.
- Fox News Hosts Admit They’ve ‘Pulled Punches’ With Sarah Palin. The Huffington Post. 2011-08-04.
- Fox analysts say remarks about Palin were a joke. The Huffington Post. 2011-08-04.
- Fox News' Bob Beckel Calls For 'Ilegally' Killing Assange: 'A Dead Man Can't Leak Stuff' from The Huffington Post
- Fox News' Bob Beckel Drops F-Bomb On Air The Huffington Post. April 17, 2012.
- Beckel: ‘Right winger’ doesn’t ‘know what the f*ck’ she’s talking about The Raw Story. April 17, 2012.
- Algemeiner Staff (August 8, 2012). "Fox News Host: Romney’s Israel Fundraiser Held with "Bunch of Diamond Merchants" | Jewish & Israel News". Algemeiner Journal. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Grenoble, Ryan (November 21, 2012). "Bob Beckel, Fox News Host, Concludes San Francisco Nudists 'Were Gang Banged, Probably' (VIDEO)". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Fung, Katherine (February 20, 2013). "Bob Beckel: Rape On College Campuses Doesn't Really Happen". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- "Bob Beckel Walks Back Anti-Muslim Comments About Mosques (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. July 11, 2013. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Bob Beckel Uses Racial Slur On Live Television". The Huffington Post. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Foxs Bob Beckel compares Islamic terror to dating your mixed-race girlfriend". 8 January 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Crossfire 15th Anniversary
- Fox News' Bob Beckel Bio
- Bob Beckel at the Internet Movie Database
- Bob Beckel Net Worth
- Keppler Speakers Bureau: Bob Beckel
- Weekly USA Today Column Common Ground
- Bob Beckel Topics Page – USA Today