Mull at Mountain-Con in 2008
|Born||November 8, 1974|
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University|
|Period||2006 – current|
|Genres||Young adult fiction, fantasy|
|Notable work(s)||Fablehaven series|
Brandon Mull is an American writer who is best known as the author of the Fablehaven fantasy series, which is a New York Times bestseller. Mull has also written The Candy Shop War and the Beyonders Trilogy. Because many young readers are interested in his books, Brandon crosses the country talking to students, with the message that "imagination can take you places." In an interview, Brandon Mull said
"I've been trying to pull off a writing career, dreaming of it since high school and trying sincerely since college, which has been quite a few years already, so."
Education and Early Work
Brandon Mull went to Mt. Diablo Elementary School in Clayton, California. Mull then attended Pine Hollow Middle School as a student, and then attended Clayton Valley. He currently lives in Alpine, Utah and graduated from BYU (Brigham Young University) in Utah. While at BYU Mull lead the sketch comedy group Divine Comedy (BYU). Mull served a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Chile. Brandon Mull has worked as a comedian, a filing clerk, a patio installer, a movie promoter, a copywriter, and briefly as a chicken stacker.
As An Author
Brandon Mull is also spearheading a seven-book series called "Spirit Animals." Each book will be written by a different author, but he was given the charge to create the fantasy world where the characters will live, and all the books will be based. The first installment, written by Brandon, is called "Wild Born" and was released in September 2013.
Another series Brandon Mull has authored is called "Five Kingdoms." The first book is subtitled Sky Raiders and was released March 11, 2014. The second installment will arrive the following October 2014. Of this series, Brandon Mull says, "It'll be for the kind of readers who liked Fablehaven. A Halloween spook alley turns out to be a front for slave traders taking kids into another world. It'll be cool, promise."
On Mull's Facebook page he mentioned that he is planning a second Fablehaven series, but wouldn't get serious about it until some of his other projects are finished, like Spirit Animals, possibly not until 2015. Brandon announced at the launching of "Spirit Animals" that there is a very good plan for the Fablehaven sequel series to be published in 2016.
List of published works
- Fablehaven, Shadow Mountain, 14 June 2006, ISBN 978-1-59038-581-4
- Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star, Shadow Mountain, 1 May 2007, ISBN 978-1-59038-742-9
- Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague, Shadow Mountain, 12 April 2008, ISBN 978-1-59038-898-3
- Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, Shadow Mountain, 24 March 2009, ISBN 978-1-60641-042-4
- Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison, Shadow Mountain, 23 March 2010, ISBN 978-1-60641-238-1
- Beyonders: A World Without Heroes, Aladdin, 15 March 2011, ISBN 978-1-41699-792-4
- Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion, Aladdin, 13 March 2012, ISBN 978-1-41699-794-8
- Beyonders: Chasing the Prophecy, Aladdin, 12 March 2013, ISBN 978-1-41699-796-2
- Five Kingdoms: Sky Raiders, Aladdin, 11 March 2014, ISBN 978-1-4424-9700-9
- Five Kingdoms: Rogue Knight, Aladdin, November 2014, ISBN 978-1-4424-9703-0
Candy Shop War
- The Candy Shop War, Shadow Mountain, 11 September 2007, ISBN 978-1-59038-783-2
- The Arcade Catastrophe, Shadow Mountain, 23 October 2012, ISBN 978-1-60907-179-0
- Pingo, illustrated by Brandon Dorman, Shadow Mountain, 5 August 2009, ISBN 978-1-60641-109-4, for ages 4–8
- Pingo and the Playground Bully – Prequel to Pingo, illustrated by Brandon Dorman, Shadow Mountain, 9 October 2012, ISBN 978-1-60907-178-3
- there are three total books in this series, but Mull only wrote the first book called Wild Born." It was about a group of 11 year-old kids (Conner from Eura, Melen from Zhong, Rollan from Amaya, and Abeke from Nilo) who summon the legendary Four Fallen (Briggham with Connor, Jhi with Melen, Essix with Rollan, and Urza with Abeke). They have to find the first talisman with the Greencloaks (except Abeke, she was with the Conquerors until the end). They faced a heroic battle against the Ravens and met the Conquerors up by Arix, the Keeper of the 1st talisman.
- Library of Congress Authority Record, n2006002424, "Mull, Brandon, 1974–" authorities.loc.gov
- Hilliard, Juli Cragg (2007-02-05). Will the Next Harry Potter Be a Mormon?. Publishersweekly.com. Retrieved on 2013-05-05.
- Howard, Chris (2008-03-07) Interview With Brandon Mull. Stuffasdreamsaremadeon.com. Retrieved on 2013-05-05.
- Interview with Brandon Mull. Teens Read Too (2013-04-05). Retrieved on 2013-05-05.
- Cordova, Randy (2008-06-06) 'Fablehaven' author Brandon Mull. AZ Central. Retrieved on 2013-05-05.
- Lefrandt, Diane (2011-08-01). Making No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list. Universe.byu.edu. Retrieved on 2013-05-05.
-  Deseret News – Mull converted daydreaming into dream job
-  Publisher Weekly – New Spirit Animals Book Series
-  New Book Series - Five Kingdoms
-  The Daily Universe - Fablehaven author launches new series
-  Utah Weekly Forum radio broadcast 26 June 2013
- Tweet from Brandon Mull's Official Twitter (2014-04-14) . Retrieved on 2014-04-24.